WhereISMyMindAT

Is this a Good Project for an "Advanced Rookie"--Python/GPIO

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:25 am

Hey,
Thanks for reading. Glad to be here.

I have both the Rasp2 and Rasp3-with the Purchased of the 3 I also bought the 7" screen love it. Hope to touch screen program it "one day".

++++++++++++++++

I've done my time doing the "get to know you" projects. (Installing the 7"-Display went as well as I could hope).
Set up a Media Server.
Etc.

Now want to start to challenge myself...but not too fast, so want some advice"
++++++++++++++++

I want to do a project where I can simply touch a button on my Rasp-PI screen that will open the (16 foot tall window bi-fold blinds I have).

Thus to explain my requirements.
1st-Course need a motor to turn and raise the window blinds.

2nd-First (ease into programming) want to design as an Interactive design. (aka I have to make it happen). Either "on demand" or specified time of day.

Later I'll use sensors for Darkness,etc.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thus to me, it seems all I need to start (accessory wise) is a Spinner type Motor. (sorry forget technical name).

The *Tricky Part" of course is will need to be wireless (as I don't want to have 16+feet of wire down my walls in the Den...*Grin*

What would be a best way to accomplish this. Have a RaspPi Box--with Motor as a "Receiver" (through Wifi to control).

I'm of course thinking off top of my head as I type..so need to sleep on it more...but sound like I'm going down a correct road. ???
+++++++++++++++++++
Using Python to Program (new to Python-"absolute beginner").
the GPIO capability (right?) as I have *ZERO* desire (right now) to learn how to program to a "board level"---want to stay up at an "OS" level to do the talking.

Advice?
On Level of Difficulty:1-being a 15-year old given 20-minutes instruction could do, to 10-Better have YEARS of "board level programming" type experience.

I suspect this is around a 4.5

Any and all feedback/help/advice greatly appreciated! Glad to be a "Member of the PI Club" :-)

profro

Re: Is this a Good Project for an "Advanced Rookie"--Python/

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:32 pm

Why start with Python? Do you already know other languages and just want to add Python to the list?

I am new to all this myself and started with C. Since most language are "based" on C, I just decided to start there.

I found that http://wiringpi.com/ is easy to follow and use. I would suggest starting with simple outputs (LEDs) first since they are easy to gauge feedback.

A wireless motor (stepper or servo) could be an interesting setup. its going to need power from somewhere, perhaps you are thinking a battery?

unixcommando

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Before you begin this buy a book on electricity and electronics and read it from cover to cover. You'll want to know things like voltage drops, resistance, capacitance, and how transistors work. I say this because you're going into more complicated territory than just running a hat or bonnet, or driving an LED or two.

The Raspberry Pi provides very little current to drive GPIOs, you want to drive motors that are powerful enough to open and close your shades, you can't do this directly with the power available to the Pi, not only won't you have enough current, but you'll probably need a much higher voltage than the 3.3v or 5v available to the GPIO pins. At the very least for this project you'll need a separate power supply for the shade motor and one or more transistor driven circuits to power the relays the shade motor power will run through. In any case you're going to have to have wires going to the shade motor. I can't advise whether you have the skills to do this or not. I don't know what's required in a motor to power the shades, you may be able to do it with 12v motors or you may need something more powerful, in any case safety is a concern here, even a 12v motor under the right conditions could over heat and catch fire. If you're dealing with line voltage then you have a concern not only about fire but electrocuting yourself if you don't take proper precautions.

My best advice is to consult with a licensed electrician about the shade motors and keep your part to the low voltage control circuits.

-Bob

boyoh

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:37 pm

WhereISMyMindAT wrote:Hey,
Thanks for reading. Glad to be here.

I have both the Rasp2 and Rasp3-with the Purchased of the 3 I also bought the 7" screen love it. Hope to touch screen program it "one day".

++++++++++++++++

I've done my time doing the "get to know you" projects. (Installing the 7"-Display went as well as I could hope).
Set up a Media Server.
Etc.

Now want to start to challenge myself...but not too fast, so want some advice"
++++++++++++++++

I want to do a project where I can simply touch a button on my Rasp-PI screen that will open the (16 foot tall window bi-fold blinds I have).

Thus to explain my requirements.
1st-Course need a motor to turn and raise the window blinds.

2nd-First (ease into programming) want to design as an Interactive design. (aka I have to make it happen). Either "on demand" or specified time of day.

Later I'll use sensors for Darkness,etc.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thus to me, it seems all I need to start (accessory wise) is a Spinner type Motor. (sorry forget technical name).

The *Tricky Part" of course is will need to be wireless (as I don't want to have 16+feet of wire down my walls in the Den...*Grin*

What would be a best way to accomplish this. Have a RaspPi Box--with Motor as a "Receiver" (through Wifi to control).

I'm of course thinking off top of my head as I type..so need to sleep on it more...but sound like I'm going down a correct road. ???
+++++++++++++++++++
Using Python to Program (new to Python-"absolute beginner").
the GPIO capability (right?) as I have *ZERO* desire (right now) to learn how to program to a "board level"---want to stay up at an "OS" level to do the talking.

Advice?
On Level of Difficulty:1-being a 15-year old given 20-minutes instruction could do, to 10-Better have YEARS of "board level programming" type experience.

I suspect this is around a 4.5

Any and all feedback/help/advice greatly appreciated! Glad to be a "Member of the PI Club" :-)
My advice is put the RaspberryPi back in it's box, just think of your self as a 15year old apprentice
Who want's to learn Electronics , Learning electronics is not a weekend course, like learning programing
First you must understand Ohms Law, and how to applie it , to build circuits,
Talking about it is the easy part, Doing it is the hard part
The forum will point you in the right direction, But not do it for you, That's up to you to research,
Now you can get the Pi out , and be able to Interface with the Pi IN/PUTS & OUT/PUTS

1, Electronics starter kit , book on circuits to build, and Ohms Law.

2, Bread Board Jumper leads , components as in circuits to build book.

3. Power supply 0/12vdc 3/4 amp ( Bench Type )

Regards boyoh Retired Electrical / Electronic/ Technician
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

peterlite

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Some blinds have remote control operation and some homes are set up with blinds that close automatically when the sun is too hot. You might be able to attach that type of motor and add the Pi as an extra controller. You might have to buy a whole new blind.

An example: https://www.somfy.com.au/products/inter ... ior-blinds

WhereISMyMindAT

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:40 am

Hey,
profro, unixcommando Bob, boyoh, peterlite

Thank you *VERY VERY MUCH* for the "MEAT FILLED* replies.
Back several years ago learning Linux, was a bit harder as "Supers" took for granted a "NOOB" would know (example needed root,etc.).

You're answers made no assumptions. THANK YOU!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The answers you all gave were about what I expected. Try to learn board level, a "must" for learning the "electrical" part, etc.

========"Bob"--as a side bar, I learned a "hack" on how to determine how much "torque" your motor would need to do this.

The instructions simply said to purchad (small) weights (probably magnets) to place on the Window Blind Cord. According to how much weight it takes placing on there to start to raise the blinds. Depending on that weight is how much torque you'll need.

THEN, use a multipler of 1.5x for Motor power. (course assuming that's so you're not "red lining" the motor each time--you're giving 50% over head).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

profro---I've tried "C++" before (course is "C"), but was too nitty gritty for me.

Took Java instead and was more comprehendleable.

So, looks like this will be a shelfware project for now.

++++++++++++++++++

On the other hand (for others reading this--maybe "news" to each of you here???

It *LOOKS* very easy to turn PI into an Alexa (Amazon) type receiver.

I found this looking for something else. Someone said they did in less than 20-lines of Python Code...(didn't post code) but said was easy).

++++++++++++++++++++

This *LOOKS LIKE* (I'm assuming when you do the download--THAT's the code someone already made).

Anyway, long story short. It seems about as difficult as setting up a Web Server (Apache) for the "very first time"--aka not "simple"--but "easy enough" that all you have to dop is several of your own tweaks---to get it up and running.

++++++++++++++++++++

Amazon Echo Project
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-build-your ... 1787726931

PS--I do not see a "solved"/"closed" option. I suppose because this is "General Discussion" however if I am to do anything else to consider this "solved" please f.y.i. me. You guys ROCK. Thanks for great responses! :-)

WhereISMyMindAT

Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:11 pm

PS
Apology, a more up to date Link for making Raspberry PI into an Alexa voice compatible device. (2-days old)
The (important) difference this does not need a manual restart upon reboot of PI, power loss, etc.etc.

The Simplest Way to Build A Raspberry Pi-Powered Amazon Echo
http://lifehacker.com/the-simplest-way- ... 1794218212

Return to “Beginners”