RDS

VNC Server is not licensed

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:20 pm

I am delighted with Real VNC and I have used it very successfully for many weeks now, on all 4 of my Pi Computers.

However, tonight on one of them, I am receiving this error message, when trying to connect through WiFi:
VNC server is not licensed correctly. The computer has been cloned.

When I try to connect with cloud over the internet, I receive this error message:
VNC Server is not currently listening for Cloud connections

All other 3 Pi's are working through VNC perfectly.

I have tried rebooting the problem Pi but the error message is still there.
Any ideas please?

DougieLawson

Re: VNC Server is not licensed

Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:26 am

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

There's been a recent bug with RealVNC that caused the "not licenced" error.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

RDS

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:41 am

@DougieLawson
OK Thanks. It is only affecting one Pi and even that one was running perfectly earlier yesterday.
I run it completely headless, away from monitor, etc so I cannot even easily get on it to apply the link you have provided.

I guess these things are sent to try us!

(Incidentally, how was the bug communicated and is there somewhere particular that I should be monitoring)

RDS

Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:41 pm

@DougieLawson
UPDATE
By using MobaXterm, I have now followed the link you provided and the Pi has downloaded the contents.
I have also powered the Pi down and restarted it.

The 'Licence' issue still remains though with the same error message.

Are there other steps I need to take?

Neil_Pi

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:37 pm

I am getting a similar issue with my Raspberry Pi:

When I try to connect to it via the internet I get:
'VNC Server is not currently listening for Cloud connections.'

When I try to connect to it via my home network I get the same error message as above. I am able to remotely connect to my pi via ssh on it's IP address (which I have configured it to be fixed).

The Pi in question is a Raspberry Pi2 with Samba and Plex Media server running on it. Both of these services are working fine without any problems. This seems to be related to the VNC Server not working correctly.

Yes, I have updated and upgraded the Pi but still have the same problem.

I'm interested to hear of any suggestions to try. Thanks.

DavidMS

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:55 pm

I had the same problem and ended up having to physically connect to the Pi with keyboard and screen to sort it out as you need open the Real VNC icon at the bottom of the screen sort it out.
http://meanderingpi.wordpress.com/
11 Raspberry Pi's and counting....

RDS

Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:36 pm

DavidMS wrote:... ended up having to physically connect to the Pi with keyboard and screen to sort it out ...
Thanks David, What steps did you actually have to take after you connected.

andyc_realvnc

Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:43 pm

We're currently looking in to reports of people experiencing errors with VNC Connect and where the error message includes the word 'cloned'.

If you are seeing any of the errors below, please can you email [email protected]. We're especially interested if you can get it to happen regularly.

Symptoms:

When you try and connect to your Pi from VNC Viewer using its IP address, you get the error message "VNC Server is not licensed correctly. The computer has been cloned."

On the Pi itself, you may see the following error in the VNC Server UI:

VNC Server has been cloned

Another instance of VNC Server is connected to RealVNC online services using the same credentials. This may indicate that the computer has been cloned. VNC Server will not attempt to rejoin RealVNC online services automatically.

If you wish to allow Cloud connections, press "Resolve" to re-join RealVNC online services; otherwise, to remove this error please configure VNC Server to disallow Cloud connections.

Thanks for your help!
Andy Clark
Engineering Manager at RealVNC

DavidMS

Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:16 pm

I got the message described in Andy's post - Opened the VNC icon, clicked on Resolve, if I remember correctly is asked for my VNC account log in. Once I had entered that it sorted it'self out
http://meanderingpi.wordpress.com/
11 Raspberry Pi's and counting....

RDS

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:56 pm

In order to find out what is happening, I have created a Log file for the VNC server.
It is called vncserver-x11.log and contained within the /var/log/ folder but I cannot do anything with the file because permission is denied.

Could someone please advise how I change the permissions for the file in this folder.
Thank you

andyc_realvnc

Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:10 pm

RDS wrote: Could someone please advise how I change the permissions for the file in this folder.
The file is owned by the root user, so we need to modify the file permissions so you can copy it.

Code: Select all

sudo chmod a+rw /var/log/vncserver-x11.log

will grant read and write permissions to all for /var/log/vncserver-x11.log.
Andy Clark

RDS

Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:21 pm

Thank you very much Andy.

AnilSrivastava

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:27 pm

Is there a way to disable cloud connections by logging into RaspberryPi? Or the 'resolve' or disconnect from cloud options can be accessed only by connecting the Pi to a HDMI display?

andyc_realvnc

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:20 pm

The Resolve option is only available from the UI, I'm afraid, so that does mean connecting a screen & mouse.
Andy Clark

AnilSrivastava

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:33 pm

andyc_realvnc wrote:The Resolve option is only available from the UI, I'm afraid, so that does mean connecting a screen & mouse.
Ok. That's what I was afraid of :(. Thanks Andy.

cdlenfert

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:25 pm

I have a problem ever since trying a different VNC software (tightvnc) and then trying to switch back to RealVNC for the cloud connection capability. I no longer have any option to log in to my account on the Pi, and there is no license applied. I'm also on version 6.1.0 but see that there is a 6.1.1 version available. However when I try to run an update it tells me I'm on the latest version. Some screenshots attached show exactly what's going on. Anything I can do to get cloud back?
no-license-login.jpg
no option to license or login
no-license-login.jpg (24.35 KiB) Viewed 10975 times
no-license.jpg
no license applied
no-license.jpg (11.18 KiB) Viewed 10975 times
not-current-version.jpg
on version 6.1.0
not-current-version.jpg (23.72 KiB) Viewed 10975 times

andyc_realvnc

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:31 pm

The Licensing menu only shows up on the service-mode (console) server - it looks like this might be a virtual-mode server from the screenshots?

You can start the licensing wizard from the command line using the following command:

Code: Select all

vnclicensewiz
which should allow you to re-associate your VNC Server with your cloud account - just choose the 'Sign in to your RealVNC account' option from the first screen of the licensing wizard.

Version 6.1.1 should be making it's way to the Raspbian repositories in a few days... apologies for the delay!
Andy Clark

cdlenfert

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply. I am indeed using a virtual desktop for VNC since the Pi is headless. I'm also doing this to conserve resources when I don't need the desktop environment. I was able to get the Pi licensed and showing up in my cloud team, however when I try to make a cloud connection, I don't get the virtual desktop, but instead only a small black screen. Any way to cloud connect to the virtual desktop environment?

andyc_realvnc

Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:07 pm

Cloud connectivity is only available for connections to the service-mode server, I'm afraid - i.e. the one that remotes whatever is on the console, and would be output to the TV/Monitor.

Given you're running headless, and I'm guessing don't have an X Server started, this explains the fairly uninteresting black rectangle that you are seeing :-)

Given virtual mode server is in effect running a X server and associated graphical applications, I suspect it would be about the same resource-wise if you configured your Pi to boot into the graphical desktop, and connected to the service mode server to show that. Since there's no TV or monitor plugged in, you may need to take some steps to configure the resolution. That's going to be your best bet for cloud connectivity, I'm afraid.

Hope that helps!
Andy Clark

tetonskier

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:32 pm

SOLVED! After upgrading my raspberry pi I was also getting this same error. I pulled the power on the PI, plugged it back in and the error went away.

Return to “Beginners”