NoBodyUKnow

Verifying VPN - Tracing Network Data Traffic

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:05 pm

Hello All,

My immediate need is to verify that data I am streaming from the Wireless Access Point I set up on my Pi is passing through the OpenVPN tunnel to my VPN Provider. I connected my client to the AP SSID, then ran

Code: Select all

/etc/openvpn/openvpn_server_config_file.conf

Expecting that all data from/through Pi is passed through tunnel, but not sure. How can I verify that?

Will NTOP support my current need? I've installed it but have not yet set it up.

Thanks!

NBUK

epoch1970

Re: Verifying VPN - Tracing Network Data Traffic

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:58 pm

I like bmon, but of course there is also tcpdump.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

mfa298

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:07 am

NoBodyUKnow wrote: My immediate need is to verify that data I am streaming from the Wireless Access Point I set up on my Pi is passing through the OpenVPN tunnel to my VPN Provider. I connected my client to the AP SSID, then ran
traceroute (or tracert on windows) is a good tool to run on a client to see what path you're taking to a site. With that you ought to be able to tell if it's going over the vpn tunnel or out the normal internet connection.

On *nix the mtr tool is also useful when diagnosing issues - it provides a combination of ping and traceroute with a decent text interface.

NoBodyUKnow

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:35 pm

epoch1970 wrote:I like bmon, but of course there is also tcpdump.
Thanks very much! I'll look into those.

NoBodyUKnow

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:35 pm

mfa298 wrote:
NoBodyUKnow wrote: My immediate need is to verify that data I am streaming from the Wireless Access Point I set up on my Pi is passing through the OpenVPN tunnel to my VPN Provider. I connected my client to the AP SSID, then ran
traceroute (or tracert on windows) is a good tool to run on a client to see what path you're taking to a site. With that you ought to be able to tell if it's going over the vpn tunnel or out the normal internet connection.

On *nix the mtr tool is also useful when diagnosing issues - it provides a combination of ping and traceroute with a decent text interface.

Good information. Sounds like what I need. Thanks!

Return to “Beginners”