Vidorin

Using Rapsberry Pi to make a wired printer wireless

Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Hello everyone! I have done a bit of research to try and turn my old but very functional HP P1006 Laserjet wired printer into a wireless printer for my network. I tried to do it with an old android tablet and phone but no app exists to use it as a print server I also tried purchasing an actual print server and to no avail was I able to accomplish this goal. Through my research I was led to this article: http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspber ... nt-server/
However, I am not sure what Rapsberry Pi to purchase and if it would even work with my printer model. I am simply trying to turn a wired printer wireless so I can print to it via an Ubuntu 16.04 laptop and a couple of Windows 10 desktops. I would truly appreciate any assistance anyone can give me as I am rather new to this whole Rapsberry Pi stuff. Thank you in advance.

wildfire

Re: Using Rapsberry Pi to make a wired printer wireless

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Probably better ways to do this but I'd start with using PDF printer drivers on the client(s) which would write the PDF files to your host Pi (say for example /print_queue).

A cron job can check every so often if there is anything in the queue and if so print it and delete the file.

As I said, probably better ways, but the above should give you some ideas as to improviving reliability etc.
NF

Vidorin

Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:21 pm

Could I possibly use the Ubuntu hp printer drivers script to work on this Debian based version of Linux?

wildfire

Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:08 am

If source is available, possibly.

If only binaries it's unlikely, the Pi has an ARM processor, any binaries are likely to be for an x86 processor (entirely different instruction set).
NF

Vidorin

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:40 pm

So the drivers would most likely have to be recoded is what I'm gathering here. Well I haven't a clue where to begin when it comes to that sort of thing. To the oracle of the Internet, to Google!

EDITED WITH RESEARCH BELOW.

All right so the oracle came up with this which I am not sure is successful or not.

https://mark.zealey.org/2015/06/29/gett ... spberry-pi

Reason being because it's very similar to a forum thread from on here where another fellow doesn't seem to be having much luck.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=40409

Is it possible this may be a lost cause? Also I am not even sure which Raspberry to purchase.

S0litaire

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Looks like HP officially supports it with HPLIP. so try installing hplip & cups to see if that gets things working

What to do:
Download and install HPLIP using HP's instructions:
Run throught this wizard and select the version of debian and printer type:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... index.html
Then Install cups onto the rpi.
Browse to http://<raspberry_pi IP or name.local>:631 to enter the CUPS admin pages
Set up the printer connected by USB
Then you can share the printer over the network.

Now you have a networked printer...
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

Vidorin

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:12 pm

All right, thank you kindly, I'll give that a shot, which Raspberry Pi should I purchase then to give this a go?

stderr

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Vidorin wrote:Hello everyone! I have done a bit of research to try and turn my old but very functional HP P1006 Laserjet wired printer
I just looked on amazon and they seem to be still selling these new although a newer model is out. This can't be *that* old of a printer. I have a LaserJet 4mp which is old, doesn't have usb and is just parallel port.

When you set up cups on the pi, it should have some means of allowing people to print to the pi itself. That's basically the print server you are talking about. If your printer had networking built in, potentially you could set systems up to print directly to the printer or through the pi.

Vidorin

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:47 pm

I purchased that printer in 2007 and is still work wonderfully hence why I want to make it a network wireless printer. I have a color laser printer as well but as you know color toner is a bit expensive when the HP cartridges only cost 10.00 USD and I get a lot of use out of them. Besides, I mainly print black and white anyway, the color is only when needed of course. Which Pi should I purchase for this project do you think? I see some that are kits that cost 80 dollars and some that are 40 but I'm not sure which one is cost effective and would do the job. Guidance is greatly appreciated.

S0litaire

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:57 pm

The r-pi3 can be used as a print server easily. So to be safe buy one of these...

Not sure about the pi0w. Not tried this yet but at around 10+postage you might want to take a risk...
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Vidorin

Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:35 pm

Well I have Samsung chargers which I've read would work with this version of the Pi being the Pi 3B model and I have an 8gb micro sd card, could I put that snappy ubuntu on there and use the HP print driver as mentioned earlier?

tweak42

Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Vidorin wrote:Well I have Samsung chargers which I've read would work with this version of the Pi being the Pi 3B model and I have an 8gb micro sd card, could I put that snappy ubuntu on there and use the HP print driver as mentioned earlier?
As long as your Samsung chargers are rated 2A or higher and you have decent usb cables they should be fine powering a Pi3. If you have never used a Pi before I would start with the Pi 3, make sure everything on the printing software works, then later swaping in a Pi Zero W.

Ubuntu and Raspbian are both based on Debian, so either should in theory work with their included HPLIP driver. Problems and bug reports more than a year old can be inaccurate since they might have been fixed at this point and just work.

Vidorin

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:14 pm

Well my Samsung and Apple chargers are rated for 5V 1A so I suppose I'll get the power supply with the Pi 3 kit to play it safe. Will an 8GB micro SD card be sufficient?

tweak42

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:57 pm

Vidorin wrote:Well my Samsung and Apple chargers are rated for 5V 1A so I suppose I'll get the power supply with the Pi 3 kit to play it safe. Will an 8GB micro SD card be sufficient?
8GB is fine. Technically the full version of Raspbian needs about 4.5GB and lite 1.5GB but gotta round up to the nearest capacity and leave space to add stuff to try out.

I've booted my Pi3 to desktop with 1A but no work load and nothing connected. Under load it would probably crazy CPU throttle and cut power to any attached usb peripherals.

Vidorin

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:40 am

Truly I appreciate all of the guidance everyone has given me here. I do have yet another question however. Now when I get this thing and set it up as my print server. Do I need to keep it connected to a monitor and all of that? Or can I just have it sit only connected to the printer and power and turn it on and off as needed without damaging it? Basically as I said I want a wireless print server that can sit fat, dumb and happy until needed.

tweak42

Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:18 am

Vidorin wrote:Truly I appreciate all of the guidance everyone has given me here. I do have yet another question however. Now when I get this thing and set it up as my print server. Do I need to keep it connected to a monitor and all of that? Or can I just have it sit only connected to the printer and power and turn it on and off as needed without damaging it? Basically as I said I want a wireless print server that can sit fat, dumb and happy until needed.
The technical term is headless, aka no keyboard/mouse/monitor. Yes, you should not need anything wired connected except the printer and a usb for power.

Regarding shutdown, you are supposed to issue a shutdown command telling the OS to run a shutdown sequence. Just yanking the power cord risks corrupting the data on SD card, therefore requiring wipe-reloading the OS. In practice you probably can get away with yanking the power cord, as long as the system is idle with a minimum number of services running. Just don't make that a habit and back up your stuff.

To initiate shutdown on a headless system, you can ssh in remotely and run shutdown or connect a button to GPIO that can trigger a shutdown script.

Vidorin

Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:35 pm

Haha, I forgot to use the technical term. Old habits die hard, we always said "fat, dumb and happy." Yes indeed headless. Now in regards to shutting it down, could I use an iPhone or android app to control it remotely? If not, where can I purchase the button you mentioned sir and how would I even make it work? If all else fails, how would I setup the Remote Desktop protocol on it? Thank you kindly. :-)

S0litaire

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:28 pm

Don't know about the button, but you just use ssh from any device on the network.
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

tweak42

Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:04 am

Vidorin wrote:Now in regards to shutting it down, could I use an iPhone or android app to control it remotely? If not, where can I purchase the button you mentioned sir and how would I even make it work? If all else fails, how would I setup the Remote Desktop protocol on it? Thank you kindly. :-)
Yes there are apps you can use. Search the appropriate app store.

There are guides detailing how to connect a momentary button to the GPIO connector that can trigger programs including a shutdown command.
https://www.element14.com/community/doc ... berry-pi-b

romney_yw

Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:39 am

I'm not able to comment about iPhones specifically, but I do successfully monitor and control several Raspberry Pis from my Android smartphone, using a number of apps available from the Google PlayStore.

"PC Start Shutdown & More" is a fairly simple application which I use to monitor whether several of my computers are online, reboot them or shut them down. It is also possible send a command to the computer (which for example can be a shell script or Python program) to do almost anything you wish. [Note that I also use this app to issue Wake On LAN commands to start a PC, but this doesn't work with the Raspberry Pi. The Pi starts automatically when powered on, and once shutdown cannot easily be restarted without cycling the power (even if the power has not been switched off). WOL only works with machines which continue to monitor the Ethernet (usually via a cable) even though the rest of the machine is powered off. You just can't do this with a Pi, AFAIK.]

"Raspberry SSH" is a more sophisticated application which provides most of the features supported by "PC SS&M" (except WOL), but also allows custom buttons to be created, each of which will send a command (e.g. run shell script or Python program) to a Pi via SSH. With 200 buttons available, you should be able to cover almost any requirement on almost any number of Pis. :D [Note that if you use SSH public/private key authentication with your Pis, you will have to use this application, as "PC SS&M" only supports username/password authentication.]

If you only want to know if your Pi (or any other computer) is connected to the network, "Ping Monitor" gives a traffic light display indicating whether the machine is responding to ping requests. When I want to know rather more about what my Pi(s) are doing, I use the "RasPi Check" application, which gives a very detailed status report about almost anything you might need to know about your Pi(s), and again can send commands (including reboot and shutdown) to any of the Pis which have been configured. For full command line access to my usually headless Pis from my phone, I use the "JuiceSSH" SSH client.

I'm not sure whether any of these applications are also available for iPhone, but there's almost certainly something equivalent available for that platform. If you do choose to use an Android phone, I'd be happy to provide further information about my setup, should you have any difficulty getting things working correctly.

I hope this is helpful - good luck! :geek:

Vidorin

Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:57 pm

Hello everyone! Sorry for the delay, I was finally able to get my RPi 3 which I'm posting from right now yay! Anyway, for the HPLIP I'm unsure what version of Debian this actually is for the setup. Raspbian is not available as a selection on the HPLIP setup website. Also another issue I seem to be having is I can't seem to adjust my wifi settings on my RPi 3 either because I was thinking I could set this up to run VNC as a server so it can be shut down and manipulated from other devices on the network. I wanted to make the IP of the RPi 3 static for the login details, however it is telling me my dhcpcd configuration file is not writable when I attempt to adjust the settings. I installed the NOOBS edition with the Jessie Pixel or some such as it was called, the latest one:
NOOBS
Offline and network install
Version:2.4.0
Release date:2017-04-10

That is the one I downloaded and used on the SD card.
I'm attempting to use the Ras Pi Check and JuiceSSH apps as mentioned however, I definitely need to static that IP address to access it.
Thank you kindly.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:23 pm

Vidorin wrote:Hello everyone! Sorry for the delay, I was finally able to get my RPi 3 which I'm posting from right now yay! Anyway, for the HPLIP I'm unsure what version of Debian this actually is for the setup. Raspbian is not available as a selection on the HPLIP setup website. Also another issue I seem to be having is I can't seem to adjust my wifi settings on my RPi 3 either because I was thinking I could set this up to run VNC as a server so it can be shut down and manipulated from other devices on the network. I wanted to make the IP of the RPi 3 static for the login details, however it is telling me my dhcpcd configuration file is not writable when I attempt to adjust the settings. I installed the NOOBS edition with the Jessie Pixel or some such as it was called, the latest one:
NOOBS
Offline and network install
Version:2.4.0
Release date:2017-04-10

That is the one I downloaded and used on the SD card.
I'm attempting to use the Ras Pi Check and JuiceSSH apps as mentioned however, I definitely need to static that IP address to access it.
Thank you kindly.
Raspbian Jessie with Pixel, hplip as easy as:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cups hplip
You then configure CUPS and allow the attached printer to be accessible over a network:

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computi ... er-1312717

Wireless configuration:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

Remote Access RealVNC:

https://www.realvnc.com/docs/raspberry-pi.html

If run RealVNC Server in Raspbian, then there are Client Viewers for most Operating Systems:

https://www.realvnc.com/download/viewer/
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Vidorin

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:33 pm

All right! Thank you for everything but still yet another hurdle to overcome. I had to install the HPLIP gui just to make my life a bit easier which is working fine however it is not accepting my root password and nor is it letting me change the user to the default "pi" it is locked on root when trying to install the proprietary plugin for my HP P1006.
The good news is I have everything installed and the SSH client working perfectly. Once I can have the plugin installed and all of that I can share it over cups and such and it'll finally be a wireless printer yay.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:56 pm

Vidorin wrote:All right! Thank you for everything but still yet another hurdle to overcome. I had to install the HPLIP gui just to make my life a bit easier which is working fine however it is not accepting my root password and nor is it letting me change the user to the default "pi" it is locked on root when trying to install the proprietary plugin for my HP P1006.
The good news is I have everything installed and the SSH client working perfectly. Once I can have the plugin installed and all of that I can share it over cups and such and it'll finally be a wireless printer yay.
I have never bothered with hplip-gui as found CUPS work OK for my HP printer....
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Vidorin

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:21 pm

Well I can't seem to access it via the CUPS interface thats why I was going to use the HPLIP interface. Do I put that [email protected] on all lines with Order allow,deny in the conf file? The link provided only stated two other locations which I assumed was the two following the initial one mentioned making a total of three.

EDIT
I added [email protected] after all lines involving the Order allow, deny in the conf file and I still can't access it via the web browser to configure it. I've followed all directions up to that point also.

Return to “Beginners”