Stoop

Pi Zero W, official case and camera

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:31 pm

I bought the Zero W and the official case, you know the one with read base and 3 different tops. Also comes with the mini camera cable.

Can anyone show me how to put together the Pi Zero W in the white case with the camera hole and have it hooked up with the supplied short camera cable. Because I can't figure it out.

With the camera installed in the case top with the hole in it, and the short cable installed you fold over the Pi Zero W to put it on top, but then the read base is the wrong way round, the apertures don't line up. Anyone know what's up?

DirkS

Re: Pi Zero W, official case and camera

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:37 pm

I don't have this case myself, but from what I have seen I would say you have connected the Pi upside down (the camera connector is the wrong way around at the Pi or camera side).
And the bottom of the case (the red bit) needs to be rotated 180 degrees (the slit in the bottom needs to be on the same side as the camera connector.

MrEngman

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:48 pm

This is a link to a picture on ThePiHut showing the Pi Zero W and camera in the case

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0176/ ... 1488192594

EDIT: comparing the image to your picture it looks like you have one end of the cable connecting the Pi to the camera plugged in the wrong way.

MrEngman
Last edited by MrEngman on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

gregeric

Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:00 pm

Yeah, MrEngmans's picture shows the correct orientation of everything, but for the life of me I cannot get the camera PCB to clip in behind those detents on the tabs to the left or right- its just sits there at one wonky angle or another.

MrEngman

Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:19 pm

gregeric,

One of the reviewers for the case on ThePiHut says his camera, v1.3, would not fit and he had to drill out the hole to allow it to fit.

So your issue may depend on what version your camera is.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Stoop

Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks guys, yes it was the cable being the wrong way around - which i have done on 2 other Pi's I have connected my Pi Camera to!! You think I would have learned which way round it goes by now!!

Anyway ran the raspistill command and then FTP'd it off, so it is definitely working.

Next up, install Docker!

Thanks for the help, especially on a Sunday.

Return to “Beginners”