JustPat

HDMI Problems

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:05 am

So, as soon as I got my board I tried setting it up using HDMI and it didn't work. I immediately jumped to many conclusions, leaving out the factor of operator error. Of course it ended up being my fault :P as VGA works and HDMI works when I use my SD card loaded with RaspBMC, but I just can't get HDMI to work with the Raspbian build. I read the section on setting up HDMI, I booted with both VGA and HDMI cables connected to my tv (running on VGA), I ran the command "tvservice -m CEA" or something along those lines and I got back a few options. The best sounding one to me was 720p at 60hz A.K.A. mode 4 (maybe 5). So, I put in my config.txt:
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=4
as suggested by the page on HDMI setup (this is from memory so it may be wrong, I just put in what the page on HDMI suggested). I ran this and I still can't get any output. Is there something I'm missing? Is there another way to force output through HDMI? Also, when I tried this configuration I could no longer connect through VGA, so it is doing something.

I have no experience with this sort of thing so try not to be too harsh. Thanks in advance.

Also, what would be better for doing things like programming, 720 progressive or 1080 interlaced? I know the basic difference, but which looks better for that sort of thing?

pluggy

Re: HDMI Problems

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:07 am

VGA ?

The Pi doesn't do VGA. (on its own at least).
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

RaTTuS

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:35 am

step back from the keybaord,
start again with raspbian
plug in HDMI to RPI and TV
make sure the TV has HDMI selected
then plug in power to RPi

what happens
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

JustPat

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:00 am

pluggy wrote:VGA ?

The Pi doesn't do VGA. (on its own at least).
Sorry, whatever the yellow video cable is called, the only other video output on the pi. I always thought it was called VGA, maybe not.

JustPat

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:22 am

RaTTuS wrote:step back from the keybaord,
start again with raspbian
plug in HDMI to RPI and TV
make sure the TV has HDMI selected
then plug in power to RPi

what happens
Ok, I took your advice, here is a detailed report:
I took my SD card and formatted it. I unmounted it, then installed a fresh copy of Raspbian to it using the dd command on my macintosh. I took my SD card, inserted it into the pi, unplugged everything except for HDMI as suggested, turned my TV on with the input set to HDMI, plugged in my pi, and nothing happens. The OK light flashes like it normally does when I have it connected to my tv through the other video output (apparently I have the wrong name for this output), but nothing displays on screen. I can let it sit for 5+ minutes and still nothing happens. It has to be something I'm doing wrong with the pi as my tv works over HDMI when I have RaspBMC installed. I'm really confused. Thanks for the help so far, hopefully I can get this sorted out.

JustPat

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:59 am

RCA! That's it, that's what I meant to say. Sorry, just replace all of my 'VGA's with 'RCA's. My bad.

RaTTuS

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:23 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

JustPat

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:48 pm

I tried all of these just now, same results as before. I have no idea, maybe I'm just destined for low definition raspberry flavored tarts :P . Of course, any other suggestions are more than welcome, but for now I'm just going to give up on HDMI and start working over RCA so I can get to the fun stuff :) .

DFC_1883

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:30 pm

I have the same problem with hdmi not working, using a 1 metre length blackberry usb cable powered from an iphone plug. However, hdmi has worked when using a 30cm usb, I'm thinking the1m length has current lose. As the 30cm was borrowed, I'll have to continue using yellow AV1 plug until I can retest.

Return to “Beginners”