johncassell

Moving from .Net framework

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:45 pm

Hi all, I am at the beginning stages of writing a program in VB.Net which will primarily be controlled by an RS232 keypad but needs to also be controlled remotely by PC (currently user can VNC to the PC and run the program in a windows-based environment). I'm interested in the pi because of the price and size but would someone mind helping me figure out if I could something similar with the pi. I'm confident in it working with the keypad but not so much if a remote user needs to control it (if the keypad us faulty). Hope someone can help. Cheers

fruitoftheloom

Re: Moving from .Net framework

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:07 pm

johncassell wrote:Hi all, I am at the beginning stages of writing a program in VB.Net which will primarily be controlled by an RS232 keypad but needs to also be controlled remotely by PC (currently user can VNC to the PC and run the program in a windows-based environment). I'm interested in the pi because of the price and size but would someone mind helping me figure out if I could something similar with the pi. I'm confident in it working with the keypad but not so much if a remote user needs to control it (if the keypad us faulty). Hope someone can help. Cheers
Windows 10 IoT Core may suffice ??

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... serialuart
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

jim2007

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:40 am

It is difficult to say what would be the best approach given the limited information.
- Yes of course you can program against the serial port.
- Yes you can remotely access the desktop, often called running a headless RPI

But where to go from there?
- Perhaps start with the Windows version for RPi, it is a cutdown version for sure, but perhaps there is enough there for what you want. Also check out if there are any licensing issues
- use a different language for the RPi version, most likely Python

Or you could do what I did and switch development environment to XOJO, it is what VB 6 would be today if it had continued. Except that you can cross compile for Win, Mac, Linux and the RPi. You will not build the next version of Excel with it, but it is more than good enough to cover most business apps.

ghans

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:44 am

VB.NET software does work as-is on Raspbian wirh Mono , doesn't it ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

johncassell

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:53 am

Hi, thanks for the replies. I prefer Visual Basic (only because its what I am used to) but if needed I will re-write in Python so no dramas there.

The key thing for me is that these languages can allow for a user to VNC/RDP into the machine and be able to use the program that 'looks' just like a Windows program.

I have had a look at Windows 10 IOT and when you log into it you just get a basic page (unless things have changed) so no way for the user to "double click and open a program" and use the mouse/keyboard to operate the program.

Raspbian wirh Mono sounds possible, I'll certainly look into that. Thanks again, John

Return to “Beginners”