jakebpg

What desktop works best ArchLinux

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:28 pm

I had Arch running once with KDE as the desktop and it was so horribly slow that it was completely worthless.
I have since reloaded the SD to start over and I'm wondering what's the best desktop to use that wont be so slow that it is unusable like KDE was.

Has anyone tried the xfce desktop?

Gnome is a no go, I hate gnome with serious passion and believe it to be a worthless desktop.

What is recommended as the desktop?

Debian is a no go also.

I thought about Fedora but since there is no official release for the Rpi I went back to Arch.

Would really like to get a desktop running on this thing but which one works best on it?

Also when I run lspci I get this error: cannot find any working access method.

So how does one go about seeing what is running on the pci bus?

Can some one point me in the right direction? I really want to play around with the GPIO and other connectors on this thing along with app development to control the GPIO. I was hoping to use the dev suite from KDE and qt4 but the usability of KDE is a real issue!

itimpi

Re: What desktop works best ArchLinux

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:33 pm

Don't know about best desktop.

However the lspci command falling makes sense - there is no pci bus on the Pi to report on! Not sure what you were trying to achieve? Perhaps you need to use the lsusb command to show what is plugged in via USB?

jakebpg

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Yes that helps a lot, about the USB. That is what I was looking for, thanks.

Now for the desktop!

JeremyF

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:58 am

jakebpg wrote:Yes that helps a lot, about the USB. That is what I was looking for, thanks.

Now for the desktop!
For the desktop, I know a lot of people like Enlightenment, but I personally like Openbox/Fluxbox.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

Hiro

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:01 pm

Can't say what the best desktop is but can confirm that xfce works fine for Arch on the Pi. I've been using it for a couple of weeks with no stability issues and it's speed is comparable in my opinion with lxde on Raspbian which i have also used.
Hiro.

rilski

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:11 pm

For a "minimalist" choice, I think XFCE is the way to go. It really comes down on personal preference. You gotta try them all before you make a decision.

Just my 2 cents.. :)

mellett68

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:12 pm

I would recommend xfce for any low-powered computing setup. It's lightweight but has all of the usual features you'd want.

Return to “Beginners”