rexlee

Getting WiFi going on a RP3

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:08 am

Hi all,
I spent last night and most of today trying to get the WiFi working.
I read most of the posts & various web references but nothing seemed to really work.
Finally cracked it a short while ago. It turns out that my WiFi router uses WEP authentication and the Raspbian WiFi GUI cannot handle WEP.
Changed the router to WPA2, rebooted it and it now works OK.
I leave the tip here, in case someone else has the same problem that I had.
rexlee

DougieLawson

Re: Getting WiFi going on a RP3

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:37 am

This is the #1 most FAQ on here. You clearly failed to search for existing posts.

It is possible to connect to a WEP AP, but it needs some tweaking in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. Since WEP is 100% insecure your solution of converting to WPA is a better choice anyway.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

tweak42

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:55 pm

DougieLawson wrote:This is the #1 most FAQ on here. You clearly failed to search for existing posts.

It is possible to connect to a WEP AP, but it needs some tweaking in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. Since WEP is 100% insecure your solution of converting to WPA is a better choice anyway.
Since it comes up so frequently for newbie users, should it be amended to Raspbian an info prompt explaining that WEP is not supported when attempting to connect to WEP networks?

rexlee

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:03 am

@ Doug re:
You clearly failed to search for existing posts.
I wouldn't say, that I failed to search, but rather I was unsuccessful in getting an quick lead to the the problem :)
I actually did a lot of searching and there were all sorts of leads that I followed, until I finally came across this post which mentioned the problem
(you provided the solution Doug) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=169154&p=1086752&h ... t#p1086752
The results no doubt depend upon what is put in the search words.
If this is the #1 FAQ, it is certainly not in the FAQ at #1 position( or any other position) in the FAQ.

@tweak42
Yes, I suspect that any #1 FAQ, should be well documented so that when searched comes up as #1 solution. :D
I don't know how critical the WiFi country parameter is? I did change it from UK (default) to AU, along with some other parameters, but the WEP incompatibility overshadowed many of the changes that I made which did not yield success. If it is critical, then it should probably be in the FAQ as well.

In any case, I am thankful that I was able to beef up my WiFi security.

Anyway, back to my RP3

rexlee
n variables potentially gives n**2 outcomes! :D

Return to “Beginners”