benemery1995

Open Media Vault WLAN Setup

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up a NAS using my RPi3 and Open Media Vault. I've run into some trouble with the setup as my current lodgings don't offer a wired internet connection, only wifi. Given the RPi3 has native wireless network capability I didn't think this would be an issue however I can't seem to figure out how to set up the NAS using OMV wirelessly. All the literature seems to point to a wired connection being neccessary, but in this day and age this can't be the case surely?

I've got to the point where the RPi boots successfully but gets stuck when it tries to assign itself an IP address on the network as it isn't connected. Is there a way to make the device connect to the wireless network automatically on boot, so it can give itself an IP address on the network and I can go on to complete the NAS setup on the browser client as intended?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben

raced

Re: Open Media Vault WLAN Setup

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi.

Did you find a solution to this? I'm having the same issue.

TimHartIsMe

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I'm having the same issue. I run "omv-firstaid" via the command line, but when I go to "Configure network interface" in that menu, it doesn't even show a wifi option.

I've also tried manually editing the wpa_supplicant.conf file with my network information, but it's still not connecting. Does OMV only recognize USB wifi?

mantolino

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi, I'm having this issue too.... Any light on this is appreciated... Thanks!

Pick

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:11 pm

Have same issue.
Have ported the correct drivers etc. no joy.
It seems the Pi is not able to enjoy good throughput as a NAS (esecially via wifi) but for those of us willing to endure the low performance as a trade off, or who would like to at least access the system admin functions via wifi,
It would really be nice if the author of this sw would have made it easier to implement wifi, even though most NAS users will not use it.
Some of us would like to have this function.
The first thing I found is the System has had the Pi wifi drivers removed so they must be replaced.. (port from Raspbian would seem reasonable task but they are available on the web). Being a relative Noob+1, following the non intuitive linux intricacies blind is pretty tedious. Somewhat like eating peas from your plate in the dark with a knife.

It would seem a small task for the author to at least provide guidance in how to implement wifi. The hardware is clearly capable.

How about a little guidance for those of us who need this function?

Antonybogus

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:36 pm

Hello,
Have you tried using

Code: Select all

sudo nmtui
and then going through the set up in it

simcha07

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:46 pm

Pick wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:11 pm
Have same issue.
Have ported the correct drivers etc. no joy.
It seems the Pi is not able to enjoy good throughput as a NAS (esecially via wifi) but for those of us willing to endure the low performance as a trade off, or who would like to at least access the system admin functions via wifi,
It would really be nice if the author of this sw would have made it easier to implement wifi, even though most NAS users will not use it.
Some of us would like to have this function.
The first thing I found is the System has had the Pi wifi drivers removed so they must be replaced.. (port from Raspbian would seem reasonable task but they are available on the web). Being a relative Noob+1, following the non intuitive linux intricacies blind is pretty tedious. Somewhat like eating peas from your plate in the dark with a knife.

It would seem a small task for the author to at least provide guidance in how to implement wifi. The hardware is clearly capable.

How about a little guidance for those of us who need this function?
Antonybogus wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:36 pm
Hello,
Have you tried using

Code: Select all

sudo nmtui
and then going through the set up in it
With respect:

sudo nmtui

is not the solution for the given problem.
We don't want to connect to our network in this way.
What we do mean is: give OMV a fixed IP-address to "wlan0" with which OMV automatically connects to WiFi

PcMac

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:58 am

https://youtu.be/ukc7rZii-Bg
openmediavault wireless setup: raspberry pi 3

I have find a solution for this problem please try.

Return to “Beginners”