whoisafish

Loading Video and Slideshow onto my SD card

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:48 pm

Hello all! I am a newb with Linux and the Rasberry Pi we have. This is for my work and is time sensitive so I am pretty stressed on how to make this work. I followed all the instructions on formatting the card and choosing an OS (Rasbien).

I was able to get to my Rasbien OS running however now I am stuck. I need to load a video (with audio) and a slideshow onto my pi as it will be displayed on a a 2ftx4ft screen. (Imagine a massive looking iPhone where the video would play on the top and simultaneously the slideshow will be running underneath). I am connected via the internet.

I am 95% sure I CANNOT just drag and drop a file into the SD card from my laptop via a card reader (although this would make my life SO much easier). How do I go about loading this large video and slideshow onto SD card and having it set to run and play when the machine is turned on.

Please HELPP!!!!

Goraxium

Re: Loading Video and Slideshow onto my SD card

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:15 pm

Omxplayer would be the best choice for the video, but I don't know if the settings would allow you to clamp the displayed video to a section of the screen...

Technically all you'd need to do is launch the Omxplayer with the loop option, and launch the sideshow underneath it (since Omxplayer just writes over the top of the display buffer (if I remember correctly)).

DougieLawson

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:18 pm

https://github.com/KenT2/pipresents-next it's charityware, give £10 to Ken's charity if you use it for a commercial purpose.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

karrika

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:40 pm

I would definitely go with omxplayer. You will get good quality video and audio that is in sync. Even on a PiZero.

Earlier I tried with LibreOffice.

Code: Select all

soffice -show presentation.odp
but the slide transitions were not smooth enough.

The best thing is to record the desktop to a mp4 file on a high speed desktop that has all the smooth transitions and just playback the video on the Pi.

omxplayer also has the -loop option for looping the presentation.

pcmanbob

Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:06 pm

whoisafish wrote: I am 95% sure I CANNOT just drag and drop a file into the SD card from my laptop via a card reader (although this would make my life SO much easier). How do I go about loading this large video and slideshow onto SD card
I assume you are running windows on your laptop,if both your laptop and the Pi are on the same LAN you could use WinSCP to load the files you want from your laptop to the pi.
free download from here :- https://winscp.net/eng/download.php
all you need is the pi's IP , the user name normally pi and the user password
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

whoisafish

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:08 pm

Ok an update on this - the sd card we got has boot failure so I had to buy a new sd card format it and install noobs on there. Any way I can copy the old file from the old sd card to the new one? Then just switch the video with the english version.

Return to “Beginners”