mwood39

As gift for 12 year old?

Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:05 am

My nearly 12 year old nephew wants 'coding books' for Christmas. He is good at math for his grade level and enjoys gaming.

I came across Raspberry Pi in a list of tech gifts for his age.

Please comment on whether this is an appropriate gift (with a basic set) for his age and interest. Also, his family will not help him in using this.

Thanks.

LetHopeItsSnowing

Re: As gift for 12 year old?

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:25 am

I personally think a Raspberry Pi is a great gift for a 12 year old interested in computing.

Remember he may need more than just the Pi, power, sd card, keyboard, mouse, monitor unless he already has those things.

If you decide to get a Pi, have a look at the book 'Adventures in Raspberry Pi' its a superb intro.
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

Fidelius

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:27 am

Well, I too think a Raspberry Pi is an appropriate gift for your nephew's age and interest.

pi-anazazi

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:50 am

...my son was about that age when I got his first raspi and "Python for dummies". He liked it and cross-overed it with Lego mindstorms at one point.

Great fun and a good start for further coding! :-D
Kind regards

anazazi

mwood39

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:16 pm

Thank you! I will get him a kit with power supply, sd card, case and he has the monitor etc.

This is about what I'd spend for his gift, is a book also important to give along with it? I suppose either the 'Adventures' or just the 'python' book. If he has no prior experience is Scratch too juvenile?

wildfire

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:59 pm

Buying my friends daughter (10 years) a Pi 3B for Christmas, She's not permitted to use the families computer in case she breaks it, but hey £30 quid or so she can tell mum and dad to F'Off.

Be aware to buy a case keyboard & mouse as well as power supply and other cables, that £35 quid computer does mount up. I'm pretty sure your nephew will be happy with his present though, I still remember my days (so long ago) with my rubber key speccy.
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

Notilix

Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:01 pm

mwood39 wrote:Thank you! I will get him a kit with power supply, sd card, case and he has the monitor etc.

This is about what I'd spend for his gift, is a book also important to give along with it? I suppose either the 'Adventures' or just the 'python' book. If he has no prior experience is Scratch too juvenile?
Personally I think you'd add to your kit a breadboard and some leds and resistors. It's more funny to be able to start tinker right now! (especially when young)

pi-anazazi

Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Yeah, some "play stuff" like breadboard, cables and LEDs is fun, but no so easy to find and to start with, if there is no helping hand of someone with a little experience in electronics.

Is there a starter set offered somewhere for something like that?
Kind regards

anazazi

bensimmo

Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:40 pm

The RaspberryPi website has the starter Magazine Books (MagPi) And Tutorials websites.

Scratch will be fine, but it's all there to choose from so will not be limited to it.

UK based, If so they may (should) already have a Micro:bit (Yr8 at school) it can be programmed and interfaced with the Pi.
They should already be able to use Scratch, though may be just one year too old to have used it a lot.

There are some kits on Amazon that you may be able to buy.
As for cost if a keyboard/mouse is wanted then Logitech do a nice wireless set for about 16-20 quid. But sounds like it's not needed.

My 11 year old is now after joysticks, buttons and taking apart an old HDMI TV screen... and wanting to do a bit of wood work... Hum... Wonder what he's wanting to make..

Get yourself one too and have a play too :-D

W. H. Heydt

Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:07 pm

wildfire wrote:Buying my friends daughter (10 years) a Pi 3B for Christmas, She's not permitted to use the families computer in case she breaks it, but hey £30 quid or so she can tell mum and dad to F'Off.
This! This is *exactly* the rationale behind the very existence of the Pi!

(I think my grandson is the only kid in his 3rd grade class that has his OWN computer. It is, of course, a Pi3B. I have carefully explained to him that, because it is *his* computer, he gets to say who gets to use it...or not.)

mwood39

Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:50 am

Thanks to all for your thoughts. It is sounding like this is a type of gift more for someone who likes to tinker, to take apart, and who likes electronics. I will need to learn if that is true about him. If it's just 'coding' only, maybe this isn't the right direction. Although, having his own computer to do the coding on is I guess the other point, so he doesn't harm the family computer.

We are in U.S., so he does not have at school.

Thanks

wildfire

Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:54 am

Raspbian comes with a range of programming languages and other can be installed (many for free). It is a full blown computer in it's own right though not as powerful as more expensive desktops/laptops nowadays. I switch between a desktop, laptop (both Windows 10) and my Pi3B (Rasbian Jessie), I find I'm using the Pi more and more and the conventional computers are put on the back burner*.

*Probably because I'm lazy and it's just easier to change channel on the TV and use my wireless keyboard/mouse rather than move to my desk for the desktop or bedroom for laptop.
Still NF Shirls

bensimmo

Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:35 am

I think I, we, mentioned it's still a computer. You mention he would get no help with it, hence I mentioned the website and MagPi (downloadable PDF) provide some excellent background and tutorials.

So learning to code/programming is there.

The rest, tinkering/electronics may or may not come from using it, it doesn't matter, but the option is there.

Of course it all depends on what sort of coding they want to do, that's probably what you need to find out.
My kids use it, but they can also use our more powerful computers too.

peterlite

Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:09 am

Start with articles in MagPi. Let the kid read a few articles about different projects. I was at an open day where geeks showed off their wires and breadboards and stuff. A 10 year old had no interest. I introduced the kid to some of the raspberrypi.org project pages and MagPi articles then boom, excitement. It might have been the Pi in space.

boyoh

Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:55 pm

mwood39 wrote:My nearly 12 year old nephew wants 'coding books' for Christmas. He is good at math for his grade level and enjoys gaming.

I came across Raspberry Pi in a list of tech gifts for his age.

Please comment on whether this is an appropriate gift (with a basic set) for his age and interest. Also, his family will not help him in using this.

Thanks.
The Pi is great for a youngster learning coding, but don't ignore the hardware side.
Coding is a important part of making electronic circuits work, It is coming to the
Point wear there will be more coders than Electronic Engineers in the future.
So knowledge of each is worthwhile

Regards boyoh ( Retired Electrical Electronics Technician )
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

W. H. Heydt

Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:20 pm

mwood39 wrote:Thanks to all for your thoughts. It is sounding like this is a type of gift more for someone who likes to tinker, to take apart, and who likes electronics. I will need to learn if that is true about him. If it's just 'coding' only, maybe this isn't the right direction. Although, having his own computer to do the coding on is I guess the other point, so he doesn't harm the family computer.

We are in U.S., so he does not have at school.

Thanks
In the US a very good source is MCM Electronics.

Part of the point of the Pi is that, while it is a general purpose computer (that is, you can write and run programs on it), it also has access to "General Purpose Input/Output" (GPIO) pins to do what is called "physical computing". In that way, the Pi can interact with the rest of the world doing things like reading sensors (check out the SenseHAT which was developed for use on the ISS) or responding to buttons, and activating lights, relays or motors. Thus the Pi *can* be used just for coding, but it can also be used in projects like robotics.

The net result is that a Pi with the add ons to allow it to be used as a low powered desktop would make an excellent present, it opens up future presents to build on it. You'd be giving your nephew something interesting to work with and yourself an easy way to know what you can get him on future occasions. A "win-win"...

RaspISteve

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:26 pm

Guys,
I've purchased a Pi3B kit complete with case (don't forget a case), keyboard, mouse and PSU (UK & Euro plug) for my nephew so, being a single box, it's a whole lot easier to wrap. Think he's eleven and since he was five wanted to be an inventor. He's actually half Austrian meaning he always wanted to be "an inWentor" (his words). He is already using version of Scratch at school in Wien (Vienna).

I recall my early days on micros and the simple joy of magically turning a LED on and off so have included one of those traffic light add-ons, think its a PiStop or similar.

I have also had a good play with the thing to make sure it works out of the box when he opens it and to avoid completing for bandwidth with all the other big and little tyro Pi users on Christmas morning. Plus I'm having a whale of a time playing with it including taking the new security advice and including a username/password other than "pi/raspberry" and with the same group memberships as pi.

I have also include Retropie to help with the introduction to the lighter side of computing.
Share and Enjoy.

mwood39

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:18 am

Thanks everyone! I ordered it, and will be giving the Pi to him for Christmas. I found a MagPie magazine issue (I think Sept) online that has 'what to do' if you're just starting out. If there are other online sources appropriate for 12 year old, I'd be interested!

pi-anazazi

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:11 am

...a link to this forums in his browser? ;-) Only for the brave ones! :-D
Kind regards

anazazi

Alexxaa

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:32 am

Hi, everybody
Christmas soon, so it is time to prepare gifts) and i come here for your advice. My son is eleven, he wants new bicycle, but winter it is not time for this. i stopped my search on game Suspend, my son likes Jenga, and this game is something similar. you could see it here - https://uviloon.com/best-toys-gift-ide ... r-old-boys. So, i want to know your thoughts worth it buying or not, also would like to hear other ideas with pleasure

W. H. Heydt

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:12 am

Alexxaa wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:32 am
Hi, everybody
Christmas soon, so it is time to prepare gifts) and i come here for your advice. My son is eleven, he wants new bicycle, but winter it is not time for this. i stopped my search on game Suspend, my son likes Jenga, and this game is something similar. you could see it here - https://uviloon.com/best-toys-gift-ide ... r-old-boys. So, i want to know your thoughts worth it buying or not, also would like to hear other ideas with pleasure
He's in the right age range (though one might argue that the age range for a Pi is about 3 to extreme old age...at 69 I'm far from the oldest Pi user here). Be advised, though, that games designed to run on Windows PCs won't run on a Pi.

marmario

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:50 am

It’s a very curious child. The Raspberry Pi is really a good choice, and it seems great to pair it with a code book. But if he likes mechanical toys like boys of the same age, I think a gift like LEGO Fun Robot should be a great gift for a 11-12 year old boy.
Last edited by marmario on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

christopholous

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:22 pm

wildfire wrote:
not permitted to use the families computer in case she breaks it...
The "family computer" What year is it? 1997? :lol: I've got more computers than I know what to do with.
Your mother is so fat, the recursive function computing her mass causes a stack overflow.

wildfire

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:38 pm

christopholous wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:22 pm
wildfire wrote:
not permitted to use the families computer in case she breaks it...
The "family computer" What year is it? 1997? :lol: I've got more computers than I know what to do with.
They are on an extremely tight budget, don't mock it until you are there yourself. It was a while ago since I made that comment but they still use that computer which is worth tuppence nowadays but is essential to their daily lives and still does the job they require.

Perhaps you could donate those computers that you don't know what to do with to more needy families?
Still NF Shirls

Kalison

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:50 pm

I would be really among angels in heaven if I received it in my childhood! :P It's a good choice for a very interested in computing newbie.

Return to “Beginners”