PeeWee

system-config-printer

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:02 am

I have installed system-config-printer onto my Pi, but I am having installing my wifi Canon printer.

After opening system-config-printer, I click on add printer and follow the instructions to add my printer. The printer is located without a problem and the printer driver is found without a problem. The problem starts when the Authentication window opens.

The authentication window has the following message:

"Privileges are required to add/remove/edit a remote printer".

I enter pi as username and raspberry as password, but these are not accepted by system-config-printer.

I have also tried connecting to the printer using LX Terminal and sudo bash, then system-config-printer commands, but get the same result.

I do have CUPS installed and I have added pi as username to lpadmin by using the command "sudo usermod -a -G lpadmin pi".

Also, CUPS does not find my printer when I use use CUPS to install my printer, yet system-config-printer does find my printer (just will not let me install it).

Finally, system-config-printer does seem to add the printer after I have cancelled the installation, but I cannot print to it. However, I can delete the printer without any problem using the same authentication window that pops up during the install.

Any help would be appreciated.

PeeWee

Jehosophat

Re: system-config-printer

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:14 pm

I have exactly the same password problem when trying to install my HP printer.

Sorry that I dont have a solution.

penguintutor

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:16 pm

I haven't had much luck with printers. I believe it was a performe wance issue with the Raspberry Pi.

However I believe the permissions are set using lpadmin group.

When logged in - from a console (terminal) try

Code: Select all

groups
See if you are in the "lpadmin" group

If not then how to add is detailed at: http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/useradmin-reference i wrote the guide to administrating users for Linux before the Raspberry Pi, but coincidently uses the lpadmin group in the example.

tualatinweb

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:11 am

I'm also having an issue getting my HP Photosmart 6510 printer working with either system-config-printer or CUPS. Both are installed, however when I try and print a Test Page from within system-config-printer the Status shows "Stopped".

Test print with CUPS on the Midori browser shows a State of:

Stopped
"/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed"

I'll pay $50 to get printing working through PayPal, thanks.

Daniel

Boomer

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:51 pm

I'm currently trying to enable printers too. Found this link that might help:

Http://wiki.debian.org/SystemPrinting#HP. It's not limited to HP printers despite the title.

inkyfingers

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:55 pm

/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install foomatic-filters
might be worth a try

parann0yed

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:17 am

If you're willing to pay, check out turboprint...http://www.turboprint.info/. You get a 30 day trial then the option to buy a license. It's not bad if you can't get your printer working by other means.

penguintutor

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:31 am

Turboprint is a proprietary application provided as binaries.

For Linux it is available for Intel / AMD processors only and will not therefore run on the Raspberry Pi.

Return to “Beginners”