pcmanbob

Re: What is the maximum micro sd card capacity for RP3

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:56 pm

I would think you would be better just writing an image file directly to the sd card.

Down load raspbian image file from here : https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
then use etcher to write it directly to the SD card
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
https://etcher.io/

then insert in to pi and boot, now wait as after the first boot raspbian will expand OS to use all the available space on the SD card and I don't know how long this will take with your card. probably best if you can do this withy a screen attached so you can see things happening.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Imperf3kt

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:59 am

lind777 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:53 pm
I just purchased a 1TB micro SD Card for $40 and I can not get it to work with a Raspberry PI 2. It came with exFAT format which I then reformatted to FAT32 (sdcardformatter which took two weeks to run and then fat32format program). Still no luck. When I apply power to the pi it just sits there and does nothing (bother green and red lights on). When I take an 8GB card with the same copied files it boots right up. Any thoughts?

Sounds like you got scammed.
You will not find a 1TB microSD card for $40 ANYWHERE legitimate.
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

HawaiianPi

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:11 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:59 am
Sounds like you got scammed.
You will not find a 1TB microSD card for $40 ANYWHERE legitimate.
You won't find a legit 1TB micro SD card anywhere, period!

Yup, lind777 got burned. While there have been prototypes of 1TB SD cards demonstrated by Sandisk and WD, there are none available for purchase, and those prototypes were full size SDXC cards. For micro SD the current limit is 256GB.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

jackaroo

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:02 am

In fact, there is no logical limit to the SD-card size. The thing is to have the boot-partition on a vfat, which is the default with the images that you can download anyways.

Then, chose "Expand filesystem" with raspi-config, or resize the fs with any other tool of your choice. Remember, boot must be vfat. The rest is up to you.

Whether it makes sense to have a very large root partition on an SD is a different question.

Cheers, Jack
====

My eyes see "MicroSoft", my brain reads "NanoWeak" - Linux since Kernel 1.0.36

procount

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:28 am

There are actually three factors that limit the usable size of a micro SD card:

1. The low-level physical technology - SD / SDHC / SDXC etc. that the hardware must support.

2. The file system used: FAT32 / EXFAT / EXT4 etc. whose respective limitations have already been mentioned above.

3. (No-one yet mentioned: ) The partition layout in which the filesystems live. Typically, most SD cards use the MBR format to address the different partitions. This splits the drive into 512 byte sectors and uses a 32bit addressing scheme, so this limits the addressable size of the drive to 2TB. This is bigger than any SD card available today, so it is not really an issue here. However, it does set a limit for the maximum size of any storage device (or individual partition, regardless of file system) that can be used with NOOBS/PINN which use the MBR format exclusively. (Also the number of multi-bootable partitions is limited in the RPi to 63).

To break this 2TB limit, it would be necessary to use the GPT partition format.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

jackaroo

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:18 pm

Right at (3)... Thanks!

But as you already state in answer to yourself: That MBR-addressing thing is rather a theortical one, and changing over to GUID partitions is not quite the step.

[Gives me a smile when the address becomes instances bigger than the data stored in it...]

To the OP: For several reasons, I recommend not and never to do so: If, on a tiny machine like the Pi, you start collecting too much data, it is very likely that there is a certain "subtle inconsistence" in the entire project outline. Here, it would be advisable to have like a "parent data server" to hold, control and deliver the information required. The Pi itself should only serve as a GPIO (with all its capabilities).

Cheers, Jack.
====

My eyes see "MicroSoft", my brain reads "NanoWeak" - Linux since Kernel 1.0.36

Return to “Beginners”