hernil

What image for headless server

Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi!

I want to set up my pi with an external HDD for serving files on the network. What image to you recommend for this? I just want something stable, without any of the ram reserved for graphics (at least not more than the minimum required). Preferably something Debian-based as that is what I'm most familiar with.

Thanks!

wpns

Re: What image for headless server

Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Well, Raspbian is Debian with hard-float, so it probably doesn't get much better than that. Use the arm240_start.elf file to maximize free memory (raspi-config).

Make sure you use the latest (8/16) release, the previous one didn't have the ...240... file.

Let us know how well it works!

hernil

Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:10 pm

I really only need the basics though. I don't need the LXDE, browsers and the such.

Isn't there any third party images taking care of this? :)

mdewey

Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:31 pm

hernil wrote:I really only need the basics though. I don't need the LXDE, browsers and the such.

Isn't there any third party images taking care of this? :)
If you look on the Raspbian website you will find links to a number of other images some of which may be better for what you need.

hernil

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks. I'll be testing some of them out! :)

pluggy

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:20 pm

I run mine headless. I just use the default raspbian, I think any loss brought from having the GUI stuff built in is offset by using the best supported version. If you don't start the X server it doesn't use any resources, its just taking up a bit of space on the SD card. SD cards aren't expensive, just buy the next size up..........
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

SirLagz

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:38 pm

I've been creating my own Raspbian image for this sort of setup.
This is the thread so far
I've customised the raspi-config on this image to make setting up servers easier. So far though, I've only added in networking configuration.

If you have any requests for me to add into raspi-config, feel free to add it in that thread.
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

hernil

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:22 pm

So, I'm using this (http://www.linuxsystems.it/2012/06/rasp ... /#comments) image for now, but I fear that nfs support is missing in the kernel. Any way to fix this? :)

hernil

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:53 pm

SirLagz wrote:I've been creating my own Raspbian image for this sort of setup.
I've customised the raspi-config on this image to make setting up servers easier. So far though, I've only added in networking configuration.

If you have any requests for me to add into raspi-config, feel free to add it in that thread.
So, do you have NFS support in your kernel? What other advantages does your image have? Do you have the hard float binaries and the "Workaround for a kernel bug which hangs the Raspberry Pi under heavy network/disk loads" that I know quite some people have been strugling with? :)

I have been trying to compile my own kernel, but I'm loosing more time than I'm willing to spend on this project.

SirLagz

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:17 am

hernil wrote:
SirLagz wrote:I've been creating my own Raspbian image for this sort of setup.

So, do you have NFS support in your kernel? What other advantages does your image have? Do you have the hard float binaries and the "Workaround for a kernel bug which hangs the Raspberry Pi under heavy network/disk loads" that I know quite some people have been strugling with? :)

I have been trying to compile my own kernel, but I'm loosing more time than I'm willing to spend on this project.
I'm using the default kernel, which should have NFS support. It's based off Raspbian, so it's got hard float by default and the workaround by default IIRC.
I haven't gotten a lot done but the plan is eventually to have a kernel with NFS, iptables, and a few other server-ish things built in rather than as modules.
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

hernil

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Why has your image no swap partition? :)

pluggy

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:12 pm

Swap partitions on an SD card is controversial, some advocate don't use one on an SD systems. Raspbian uses this school of thought. Some would argue it doesn't really matter and you can use swap on SD..........

wpns

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Just curious, what happens if you run out of physical memory when you have no swap partition?

pluggy

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:40 pm

Linux caches a lot of stuff in memory when its running, the memory manager just reduces the amount of cache to free up space for whatever is running. What happens when it can't do any more is a place I've never been......

hernil

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:08 pm

So, it doesn't look like there's NFS support in your kernel SirLagz. Just got this message:
Not starting NFS kernel daemon: no exports. ... (warning).
Could someone please point me to a kernel with NFS support without me having to compile it? :)

sjfaustino

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:46 pm

hernil wrote:So, it doesn't look like there's NFS support in your kernel SirLagz. Just got this message:
Not starting NFS kernel daemon: no exports. ... (warning).
Could someone please point me to a kernel with NFS support without me having to compile it? :)
I'm just a Linux newbie but doesn't that just mean that the /etc/exports file (where you setup the folders you want to share) doesn't exist or is empty?

hernil

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Look at that, you're right!

Fixed my export-file and it's running well. Thanks!

wpns

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:35 pm

[quote="pluggy"]Linux caches a lot of stuff in memory when its running, the memory manager just reduces the amount of cache to free up space for whatever is running. What happens when it can't do any more is a place I've never been......[/quote]

RPi will get there, it only has 256M memory, max 244 for Linux.

SirLagz

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:08 am

RSE uses a swap file as per the default Raspbian configuration rather than a swap partition.
At the moment, it's a *TINY* fork from Raspbian. But as more work gets done to it, that will hopefully change.

Return to “Beginners”