jermak

Raspi-Config

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:35 pm

Would it be possible to add a Network/IP setting option in this menu ?

redhawk

Re: Raspi-Config

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:38 pm

What kind of network settings did you have in mind??

Richard S.

jermak

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:40 am

Fixed IP address
DNS Severs
Gateway
Proxy if applicable

Now i am forced to have DHCP running.

bredman

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:58 am

jermak wrote:Now i am forced to have DHCP running.
You are not actually forced to have DHCP running.

You are just unwilling to configure it using the command line or using a graphical tool.

Mauste

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:13 pm

How about adding some sort of PPPoE-configuration?

It is very annoying to not be able to connect internet even though you have the connection available. You can't configure the connection yourself, because you don't have the required application to do so. You can't get the application through automatic installation (like apt-get), since it requires an active internet-connection. This creates a "Chicken and an Egg"-problem, to which the only solution is to have the required packages on a external device like USB-stick.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Mauste wrote:How about adding some sort of PPPoE-configuration?

It is very annoying to not be able to connect internet even though you have the connection available. You can't configure the connection yourself, because you don't have the required application to do so. You can't get the application through automatic installation (like apt-get), since it requires an active internet-connection. This creates a "Chicken and an Egg"-problem, to which the only solution is to have the required packages on a external device like USB-stick.
What would you like pre-installed for PPoE to work out of the box?

SirLagz

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Easy enough to do. I've done it myself on the modified raspi-config on Raspbian Server Edition.
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

Mauste

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:06 am

asb wrote: What would you like pre-installed for PPoE to work out of the box?
pppoeconf would be nice (I guess that's the name). Someone else suggested it when I was trying to solve my PPPoE-problem. Here's a quote from him:
Mast wrote: ...
This is how I get around that.
First, you need to download the needed packages to a computer with an internet connection. The packages needed are (with links for raspbian-wheezy): libpcap0.8, ppp and pppoeconf.
Then, you move the files to the Pi, the easiest way would be with a USB drive.
Install the packages like this:

Code: Select all

$ sudo dpkg -i /path/to/usbdrive/libpcap0.8_1.3.0-1_armhf.deb
Once that's done, run

$ sudo pppoeconf
and follow the instructions (mainly just press enter).
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I've done this several times on various debian images, always works (with some minor workarounds).
One of this days I'll have to find the time to add this info to the wiki. What would be really great, though, if pppoe were included in the images by default.
The quote should contain links to the required packages (hover your cursor over the package-names). The pppoeconf itself works very similarly to Raspi-config ("basic text-based GUI"), which is why I think it would be a nice addition to it.

pppoeconf doesn't even have to be included in the Raspi-config as long as it is included in the image. However, it would be really helpful for beginners with a PPPoE-connection if Raspi-config had that option.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks Mauste, added to my TODO list.

jermak

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:36 am

In the standard Ubuntu setup/installation sequence , Dhcp will be tdetekted automatically, but if none available, it will give an erroer and you will be given the chance to do the IP,DNS,Gateway. If DHCP is available you can interrupt the search and do input manually.

BeLe

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:49 am

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
if you don't know how to modify this, the documentation is included in "Debian Reference" from the desktop.

Return to “Beginners”