Ace Rimmer

Backing up with ImageWriter

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:06 am

Hi, I've just used Win32Imagewriter to make a backup of my Pi's SD card, all up it took about 4.5 hours :shock: to read the old card and then write the new one! Does this sound right? Also the old card was 8Gb and I backed it up to a 16Gb card but when I booted up with the new card File Manager reported that it was only about 6Gb ? :? Any ideas?
There must be an easier way!!!!!
I hope there is.....I haven't found it yet.

topguy

Re: Backing up with ImageWriter

Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:23 am

Those times do sound a bit high. Do you have a really old computer or a really old mem-card-reader ?

When you back-up a card you copy everything, including partition-table and filesystem-formatting, so you will have unused space if you burn to a bigger card.
I belive you can run "raspi-config" and choose "expand filesystem" to have the linux-partition expanded to use the whole card.

drgeoff

Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:27 am

There are tens of threads about backing up SD cards. If you are running a recent Raspbian, it includes a utility to do that.

Win32DiskImager reads and writes at a low level. It knows and cares nothing about partitions, file systems, directories or files. In your case it has copied your 8Gbyte card to the first half of the 16 Gbyte card. The other half of the 16 Gbyte card is unused space - no partition, no file system. As far as any software on the 16 Gbyte card is concerned it is an 8 Gbyte card.

Tools such as parted can enlarge a partition into that empty space. If you have only Raspbian on the card, running raspi-config and using the 'expand filesystem' option will expand the second partition to add the 8 Gbyte.

That does seem a long time to read and write 8 Gbytes.

Ace Rimmer

Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:57 pm

Thanks topguy and drgeoff, yes I'm using an old "very ordinary" card reader - I'll try another one. I'll try raspi-config also.
I didn't realize it at the time I made the post but both cards don't load the time from my hardware clock now.
There must be an easier way!!!!!
I hope there is.....I haven't found it yet.

Return to “Beginners”