gaffer

Is there a trick to booting with a different monitor?

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:37 am

I'm new to the world of Raspberry Pi - I'd worked in Qnx 20 years ago, so not entirely inexperienced on unix style OS's but for all practical purposes I'm a newbie. I've been running on a Visio HDMI TV which runs perfectly. I've tried a couple of times now to boot to the larger screen TV in my living room with no success, and I'm wondering what I'm missing.

When I connect the HDMI cable to the living room TV, my system comes up with the Raspberry Pi desktop, but without LXDE running. I've tried to start it by running the monitor and issuing a "startx" command, but this is what I get in a pop-up window:

Code: Select all

GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop. Policy Kit 1. Error. Failed:
An authentication agent already exists for the given
subject.
At that point I'm stumped. The living room TV is also a Visio HDMI, so I'd think it would be quite similar to the one I normally connect to. I know it can handle the video output, else I wouldn't see the raspberry on the desktop. Could someone kindly give me an idea how to proceed from that point? I originally posted a thread about this issue in the Troubleshooting forum, but got no response.

klricks

Re: Is there a trick to booting with a different monitor?

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:31 am

I read some of your previous post viewtopic.php?f=28&t=159968&p=1038276#p1038276 and it appears that you ran sudo startx at one point. Running sudo startx even once is a GUI killer. If you hunt around the forums here, (using Google), you might come across a fix for that but probably easiest to just reinstall the OS.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

gaffer

Re: Is there a trick to booting with a different monitor?

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:48 am

klricks wrote:I read some of your previous post viewtopic.php?f=28&t=159968&p=1038276#p1038276 and it appears that you ran sudo startx at one point. Running sudo startx even once is a GUI killer. If you hunt around the forums here, (using Google), you might come across a fix for that but probably easiest to just reinstall the OS.
Thank you - I appreciate the response. The thing is, I didn't try the sudo startx until after everything else had failed. I started with a simple startx, which gave me the error message (or lack of message) shown in my first post. I then started trying other things, and did eventually give up and reinstall OS.

I actually went down that road twice, once when I first got started and then again the second time after I'd gotten the wifi functioning. I'm actually relieved to hear that the sudo startx may have led to the situation being fatal. I certainly won't try that again.

I would like to have some other plan in hand before I do, though. Say I shutdown, move the pi, plug in the other monitor, power up and get that same message. I'll start with trying "startx" of course, but that got me nowhere in my previous attempts. What should I try at that point?

Return to “Beginners”