Coobs

Can I download RetroPi through the Raspberry pi?

Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:52 pm

So I have a pi 3 B, and I want to download retro pi but the microSD card doesn't seem to fit into the microSD reader.

Every tutorial tells me to put the SD into the reader, plug that into my windows computer and download retroPi. Can I just get retroPi through the current OS (raspbian)?

2nd question: Could I use a USB stick to download retroPi with my windows PC, plug in the USB to the raspberry and then install it?

Thanks

-Noob

RaspISteve

Re: Can I download RetroPi through the Raspberry pi?

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:44 pm

Yes.

Well I, in my infinite ignorance managed it.

Try:
https://github.com/retropie/retropie-se ... stallation

My first attempt was by downloading the SD image. Then I followed the detail I found after a short search to install RetroPie onto a new-ish Pi3/8 Gigbyte SD installation. I can't be sure the above is the same one but worth trying. I did take quite a while.

I found I had to go buy a USB XBox360 controller and got one from (UK) Argos for 12 quid (special offer) and it seems necessary to control/setup/run EmulationStation's emulators.

The only problem I have had was with configuring the Xbox controller's button mappings, it would always skip a control button. Using the EmulationStation set up menus I reinstalled/updated the Xbox drivers and it now works OK.

Clearly there was enough detail available on line for me to get it going. My daughter's little lad is very happy playing the Amiga games his mum once played. So, its all do-able for an over-60. (that's a challenge)
Share and Enjoy.

Coobs

Re: Can I download RetroPi through the Raspberry pi?

Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:42 pm

>I found I had to go buy a USB XBox360 controller and got one from (UK) Argos for 12 quid (special offer) and it seems necessary to control/setup/run EmulationStation's emulators.

When I got to the emulation station screen, I just held down enter for a few seconds and it worked for me. I will probably get a controller soon though.

And thank you so much for the help!

Return to “Beginners”