shub12

Booting my raspberry Pi for the first time

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:05 pm

I have a laptop, a raspberry pi 3 b model and a HDMI cable to connect the pi board to the laptop. Recently i learned that the laptop HDMI port has an output logic. So there is no way i can connect the raspberry pi to the laptop? Moreover if anyone is suggesting to connect is through the Ethernet cable, I must tell you that i have not booted the Raspberry pi for a single time. Please help me. i am dead struck

MarcScott
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Booting my raspberry Pi for the first time

Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:01 am

Ideally you want to use an HDMI monitor or TV with your Raspberry Pi and a USB keyboard and mouse.
Later, once you are a little more familiar with the device, you could use software to remotely access the Raspberry Pi.
Can I recommend you have a look through our help section https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/ for guidance on using the Raspberry Pi.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:28 am

shub12 wrote:I have a laptop, a raspberry pi 3 b model and a HDMI cable to connect the pi board to the laptop. Recently i learned that the laptop HDMI port has an output logic. So there is no way i can connect the raspberry pi to the laptop? Moreover if anyone is suggesting to connect is through the Ethernet cable, I must tell you that i have not booted the Raspberry pi for a single time. Please help me. i am dead struck
https://pihw.wordpress.com/guides/direc ... connection
Retired disgracefully.....

nl3prc

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:15 am

what is the operating system you have instaled on your pi

harvy

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:45 am

On a recent new install i did with Jessie on a Pi2 B,
so long as it was connected to the network and i could find its ip address, i could ssh into it using my laptop over the network and configure all i wanted.

Easiest way to get the IP for me was to check my router for connected devices...

I don't think this works on wheezy...

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:09 pm

harvy wrote:On a recent new install i did with Jessie on a Pi2 B,
so long as it was connected to the network and i could find its ip address, i could ssh into it using my laptop over the network and configure all i wanted.
Easiest way to get the IP for me was to check my router for connected devices...
I don't think this works on wheezy...
Should all work with Wheezy upto and including the P2B (if you have one). The bulk of the support for the extra features of the P3B were developed in parallel with the move to Jessie**.
Trev.
** I've not (yet) upgraded some of my older Pi's to Jessie and often use them "headless" via SSH. I also use my router to assign them reserved ("pseudo-static") IP addresses via DHCP.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

HawaiianPi

Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:27 am

A little more information would be helpful.

For example, do you have a router, and can you connect the Pi3 to the router with an Ethernet cable? If so, then image the Pi3 micro-SD card with the latest Raspbian Jessie Lite and connect it to the router (but don't boot yet).

You also didn't mention what OS your laptop is running. Assuming Windows, get the PuTTY SSH client and install it.

Now fire up your Pi3 and give it a minute to boot, then from PuTTY on your laptop, enter [email protected] in the Host Name (or IP address) field, make sure SSH is checked, and click Open.

That should connect you remotely to your Pi3. You can then use the PuTTY terminal to work with the Pi3. Note that this is a command line interface, so no GUI/Desktop. But you can configure the Pi, install and run software, and do most things that don't require a desktop graphical environment.

The first thing you'll want to do is rename the Pi3 and change the default password (since everyone knows the default hostname, username and password). You can do that with raspi-config (and remember, after you change the Pi3 hostname, you'll need to use the new name to re-connect with PuTTY).
Last edited by HawaiianPi on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

nl3prc

Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:13 am

Thats nice it is not working for me to connect to the host name it comes back as unknown

jbudd

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:04 am

If you cannot ssh to your Pi by name then use the IP address.
I think you need something or other from Apple installed on your PC to connect by name.

If you don't know the Pi's IP address then find it with Advanced IP Scanner from http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com. Or on a mobile phone (Android), Fing works well too.

Rather than Putty, I like MobaXterm http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/. It gives me lots of the Bash shell tools on my PC, SSH, SCP to copy files to and from the Pi and even the full GUI.

Return to “Beginners”