daicoolb

How to copy the system from a existed SD card.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:04 am

Dear sir:

I have a Micro-SD card and use the win32DiskImager to push the system in the card.

Now I want to copy the system from the existed card to a new Micro-SD card. How should I do to solve this problem.? I have install some software in the existed Card,so I don't want to do it again, Just want to copy the system to a new Micro-SD card.

ESP

Re: How to copy the system from a existed SD card.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:17 am

Unless I am not understanding your question, win32DiskImager reads as well as writes.

Use it to create and image of the updated sd card on the pc then write that to a new card.

Robin

pcmanbob

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:20 am

Hi.
You can also use win32DiskImager to copy your SD card and save it to an image file on your pc.
To do this insert SD card in pc, run win32DiskImager, click on the folder button and select were you want to save the image too, now enter a name for the file in the filename box in the window showing your folder and click save.
now in the win32DiskImager window you will have the location and file name you selected in the image file box, now just click read and your SD card will be copied to the image file in the location you selected.
to put this image on to a new SD card just use this image and write as you did before.

This method is also good for keeping back up copies of your system in case of SD card failure or corruption
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

nl3prc

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:36 am

you can make a copy (image ) of the card using win32DiskImager in windows
This can be triky when you make a copy of a 16gb card it might not fit on another 16gb card

I found another way it depends on your operating system thats on the card i have made a copy thats on a 32gb card to a 16gb card
my os is debian jessie full desktop.
i used a usb 2 card reader in one of the raspberry's usb ports
you have to check if the space used is not bigger than your card you writing on with df -h
As you can see there is only 8gb used on the card
be sure that if you run the script your logged in as root user bij entering su -

[email protected]:/# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 30G 8.1G 20G 29% /
devtmpfs 214M 0 214M 0% /dev
tmpfs 218M 0 218M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 218M 25M 193M 12% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 12K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 218M 0 218M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 63M 21M 43M 33% /boot
tmpfs 44M 0 44M 0% /run/user/1000
[email protected]:/#

https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone