thirdumpire

Regarding first time booting of Raspi without screen

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:52 am

Hi. I wish to configure and run my raspberry pi without using display screen, keyboard or laptop. The most common advice given on most forums is using a laptop connected to the pi via Ethernet and using ssh through PuTTy. However, I have the following doubts:
1. I have created a bootable sd card by downloading the image file from this website and using dd tool in ubuntu 12.04. What are the expected changes I must make to the contents of the sd card
2.As per what I understand, the IP addresses of both devices, Laptop and raspi must be set manually in order to establish a connection. I m using Ubuntu 14.04 as my OS. How to I achieve the same?

nl3prc

Re: Regarding first time booting of Raspi without screen

Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:46 am

If you dowloaded the image of debian jessie normaly when you connect your pi to a router it wil be given a ip adress from the dhcp server of the router so you can loggin to your router to find the ip number for your PI

thirdumpire

Re: Regarding first time booting of Raspi without screen

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:58 am

Hi nl3prc,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I exactly followed the instructions u gave and it worked. I made use nmap on my Linux laptop (connected to the same router as my raspberry pi) to find my IP address.

I also found another solution to my problem. I made use of udhcpd on my Linux laptop, effectively making a dhcp server, thus giving an IP address to the raspberry pi.

Return to “Beginners”