chefjohn

Cannot get in as Admin

Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:53 am

Hello all, I just got my Pi today. The system boots up fine, I get to the main screen. My problem is, a dialog box never appears, and I cant enter my username or password. When I go into the terminal, and enter startx, it says I am an unauthorised user, and I cannot get, Someone please HELP.

nl3prc

Re: Cannot get in as Admin

Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:42 pm

sudo startx
Or set your auto start to start up xwin with raspi-conf
Or you have to login first with user pi with password raspberry

Douglas6

Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:30 pm

nl3prc wrote:sudo startx
I believe that's a particularly bad idea.

klricks

Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:55 pm

chefjohn wrote:Hello all, I just got my Pi today. The system boots up fine, I get to the main screen. My problem is, a dialog box never appears, and I cant enter my username or password. When I go into the terminal, and enter startx, it says I am an unauthorised user, and I cannot get, Someone please HELP.
For a long time the default Raspbian boots straight into the GUI with no login / password dialog, and the config utility does not run on first boot. You are likely trying to follow outdated instructions.
The purpose of startx is to start the GUI. Since the GUI is already running, you get the unauthorized message when you attempt to startx from a LXterminal.
If you want to have a login dialog then you can change the boot preferences either by using the Raspberry Pi Configuration utility in [Menu] --> [Preferences]
Or by using sudo raspi-config from the LXterminal.

If you use the above utility and configure the RPi to boot to command line, then that is when you can use startx to manually start the GUI.
DO NOT enter sudo startx as suggested in other reply. You will end up with a non functioning system.

Also there is no ADMIN account. When you login you will be user: pi with password: raspberry
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

chefjohn

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:48 am

Thank all, this is all useful info.

nl3prc

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:20 am

when you loggin via ssh terminal as user pi you can than loggin as superuser user with the folowing commands

Code: Select all

sudo passwd root

now you can set the password for the root user
the password only has to be set once

su -
with the su - command you can now loggin as root ( superuser )

mfa298

Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:05 pm

nl3prc wrote:

su -
with the su - command you can now loggin as root ( superuser )
If you've already got sudo access then

sudo -i
does the same thing and no need to set the root password (ignoring any debate as to whether a root password or sudo access is more secure)

Return to “Beginners”