Hiro

Pi camera at night?

Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:05 am

I have built a timelapse camera using a Pi 2 and Pi camera module. It works well during the day but i hope to use it at night soon to capture the stars. Will the standard camera module work for this or would the model with no IR filter work better at night?

I hope someone out there may already have tried this out, Cheers, Hiro.

wh7qq

Re: Pi camera at night?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:17 pm

For the lack of the IR filter, the NOIR camera may be slightly more sensitive but its color rendition by day is screwed up. In either case you are going to be into time exposures for night use and unless you are on a motorized mount, you will have star trails on the stars that are sufficiently bright to be recorded. Also, the duration of the timed exposure with the PiCam is limited. The NOIR camera is only better if a source of IR light is provided of sufficient brightness to illuminate the subject. Celestial objects do produce some IR.

SIDF92

Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:09 am

And maybe play with the exposure time and a lower framerate during night ?

Hiro

Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:38 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have managed to acquire a Noir camera so i can now experiment with both types and see what will work best.
I have also been studying the camera documentation in reference to changing exposure time and think i have it figured out.

All i need now is a cloudless night to try it out.

Cheers, Hiro.

Return to “Beginners”