Curious cat

New to raspberry pi and I have a few questions.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:12 pm

I recently purchased a raspberry pi 3 and wifi dongle. I have not started it up yet. I also don't have a monitor. I've been researching how to do it with ssh the last couple of days. Everything I've read says plug pi into your router then find its IP address, etc. my question is this. I don't have a router. All I have is a laptop, an iPhone, and android tablet. Both of which have wifi hotspots. Do I plug the either net cable into the computer after I've connected with my wifi? Will my computer then act as my router? I'm still new to this so please bear with me. Thanks in advance.

fruitoftheloom

Re: New to raspberry pi and I have a few questions.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:28 am

Curious cat wrote:I recently purchased a raspberry pi 3 and wifi dongle. I have not started it up yet. I also don't have a monitor. I've been researching how to do it with ssh the last couple of days. Everything I've read says plug pi into your router then find its IP address, etc. my question is this. I don't have a router. All I have is a laptop, an iPhone, and android tablet. Both of which have wifi hotspots. Do I plug the either net cable into the computer after I've connected with my wifi? Will my computer then act as my router? I'm still new to this so please bear with me. Thanks in advance.
FYI the RPi 3B has built in Wireless & Bluetooth.

Regards connecting use an Ethernet Cable betwern you Laptop and the RPi.

Install the Standalone version of Raspbian Jessie ( not Lite ) on the SD Card

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian

There was a recent post here which is similar to your situation:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=155740#p1017074

Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

pcbachina

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:16 pm

I too have raspberry pi 3 and wifi dongle . i lost the driver so plz advise on which link I can right software.

greetings
Guany yu
[mod edit - external link removed]

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:54 pm

pcbachina wrote:I too have raspberry pi 3 and wifi dongle . i lost the driver so plz advise on which link I can right software.

greetings
Guany yu
[mod edit - external link removed]
Best to start a new thread for this question.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Curious cat

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:53 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Curious cat wrote:I recently purchased a raspberry pi 3 and wifi dongle. I have not started it up yet. I also don't have a monitor. I've been researching how to do it with ssh the last couple of days. Everything I've read says plug pi into your router then find its IP address, etc. my question is this. I don't have a router. All I have is a laptop, an iPhone, and android tablet. Both of which have wifi hotspots. Do I plug the either net cable into the computer after I've connected with my wifi? Will my computer then act as my router? I'm still new to this so please bear with me. Thanks in advance.
FYI the RPi 3B has built in Wireless & Bluetooth.

Regards connecting use an Ethernet Cable betwern you Laptop and the RPi.

Install the Standalone version of Raspbian Jessie ( not Lite ) on the SD Card

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian

There was a recent post here which is similar to your situation:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=155740#p1017074

I'm still lost. I checked out that link. And one suggestion was to turn internet sharing on. But it says the users will have to configure their TCP/IP settings so they can get IP connections automatically. The other suggestion was to use a TTL serial cable. Which I definitely don't have and it also says set up before using. This is the very first initial start up. I've downloaded raspian. Not noobs or raspian lite. I still have to put it on an sd card but I'm still trying to get it lined out from there. So do I plug the either net cable into the pi and laptop then enable Internet sharing?

B.Goode

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:39 pm

Wired: simply connect a utp Ethernet cable between the RPi and another wired device that is providing internet connection sharing, including provision of address assignment via dhcp.

Wireless:

From: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... -raspbian/
If a wpa_supplicant.conf file is placed into the /boot/ directory, this will be moved to the /etc/wpa_supplicant/ directory the next time the system is booted, overwriting the network settings; this allows a Wifi configuration to be preloaded onto a card from a Windows or other machine that can only see the boot partition.
Use that information to associate with one of the access points being used by your other devices.

HawaiianPi

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:17 pm

B.Goode wrote:..From: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... -raspbian/
If a wpa_supplicant.conf file is placed into the /boot/ directory, this will be moved to the /etc/wpa_supplicant/ directory the next time the system is booted, overwriting the network settings; this allows a Wifi configuration to be preloaded onto a card from a Windows or other machine that can only see the boot partition.
Note that the /boot/wpa_supplicant.conf copy function only works with the full Raspbian Jessie. It's currently broken in Jessie-Lite.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

HawaiianPi

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:36 pm

So you have no Internet service other than your phone/tablet cellular data? No ISP? No cable or DSL? Really?

Assuming you are running Windows, you can use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), which would involve connecting your laptop to your phone or tablet hotspot with WiFi, then connecting your Pi to the laptop with the Ethernet cable (after enabling ICS of course).

You should also be able to connect your Pi3 directly to your phone/tablet hotspot with the Pi3 WiFi along with your laptop, and then SSH into it. On my phone's hotspot I get a list of connected devices along with their IP address, so SSH is simple. Hopefully yours works that way as well. If not, you could try SSH by hostname instead of IP (SSH pi@raspberrypi), although that doesn't work with my phone's hotspot (it does work with my router).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Beginners”