JohnBrambles

RaspberryPi frustration

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:07 pm

I'm not a whinger by nature and I am no expert but I have been a Linux user for many years - I maintain a "gateway" system for twenty users that employs DHCP server, WINS and shared directories (via SAMBA), an FTP server, an IP-based camera security system and SQUID caching proxy server. I have used Debian, Ubuntu, Mint and OpenSUSE distributions and could always get them to do what I want.

But... I am just about reaching the point where I am ready to give up on the two Rasspberry Pi's that a collegue and I own.

Our requirements are simple - we need the Raspberry Pi to work reliably with a keyboard, mouse, HDMI display and a USB Wireless Dongle under Raspbian.

We have had our Pi's for 4 weeks now and they are still not fully functional. It took 4 attempts for me to find a power supply that would reliable power the Pi's. Then I was faced with the repeating keyboard problem - I have tried 5 keyboards and they all exhibit the repeating keys problem to a greater or lesser extent. The latest problem is the Edimax wireless dongle - over the past week I have tried every means possible from forums, blogs etc and we cannot get them to work. In addition if I power up my Pi with the Edimax plugged in it hangs trying to populate /dev. This Edimax works perfectly on a Windows 7 (ugh!) laptop. I looked at some posts on this forum about installing the Edimax software and one went on for 29 pages - my brain tilted after 4 pages!

Does anyone have a simple way of getting the Edimax working on a Pi that I may be able to understand. Maybe I'm too thick and I will never get it to work :(

Both our Pi's sometimes just hang when running LXDE and as a consequence all work is lost :(

We have tried multiple SD cards - this makes no difference.

Oh... my Pi USB chip (?) gets so hot after it hass been on a couple of hours I cannot touch it for more that a second or so - is this normal, is it the cause of the problems.

End of whinge.

JohnBr

MattHawkinsUK

Re: RaspberryPi frustration

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:26 pm

What power supply are you using? What keyboard are you using? No point bothering with anything else unless power, keyboard and mouse work OK.

I've used a Blackberry, HTC and TomTom chargers without issue. I'm surprised your Pi gets so hot. That doesn't seem right.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

elatllat

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:28 pm

JohnBrambles wrote:...we need the Raspberry Pi to work reliably with a keyboard, mouse, HDMI display and a USB Wireless Dongle under Raspbian
mouse, HDMI and some USBWiFi should work.

ALL keyboards have the sticky key problem....it's a closed source driver problem not a hardware thing.
JohnBrambles wrote:Pi's sometimes just hang
The solution to the only hang I experienced:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 24&t=14394
JohnBrambles wrote:my Pi USB chip (?) gets so hot... is this normal
this is normal...well it's a hardware bug but it should have no effect.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =28&t=5898
SBC with 32GB RAM: https://hardkernel.com

FAQ : https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com

Unanswered: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered

ludwigmace

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:19 pm

Were the SD cards you kept trying the same class? Only reason I ask is my RPi would work intermittently with my old card (Class 6) and get really really hot as well. I got an AData Class 10 and it works like a charm. Funny - ArchLinux ran just fine on the Class 6 card. I'd give that distribution a try before giving up.

prich

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:25 am

Hi,

I'm glad I am not alone in having frustrations with the setup of the Pi.

I, too, want a useable wifi dongle. I have a TL-WN822N - some web references say it works fine straight out of the box - some give instructions for getting it to work - ALL WRONG. I've spent many hours trying without any glimmer of results. Works fine on Windows - a quick try on Mint 13 was unsuccessful.

With regard the keyboard problem, I've tried several (Microsoft, Logitech K260 and generic) finally got a Logitech K400 - it works well most of the time. After all the fiddling with the wifi dongle the keyboard now requires a re-insertion of the wireless receiver before it will work at all -looks like I need to reburn the SD card. This keyboard very occasionally shows the nasty dropped key and endless repeat problems. I feel that this is caused by some indeterminate hiccup in the LXDE system.

So, can someone recommend a USB wireless N dongle that really does work.

regards
Peter

pluggy

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:44 am

JohnBrambles wrote:I'm not a whinger by nature and I am no expert but I have been a Linux user for many years - I maintain a "gateway" system for twenty users that employs DHCP server, WINS and shared directories (via SAMBA), an FTP server, an IP-based camera security system and SQUID caching proxy server. I have used Debian, Ubuntu, Mint and OpenSUSE distributions and could always get them to do what I want.

But... I am just about reaching the point where I am ready to give up on the two Rasspberry Pi's that a collegue and I own.

Our requirements are simple - we need the Raspberry Pi to work reliably with a keyboard, mouse, HDMI display and a USB Wireless Dongle under Raspbian.

We have had our Pi's for 4 weeks now and they are still not fully functional. It took 4 attempts for me to find a power supply that would reliable power the Pi's. Then I was faced with the repeating keyboard problem - I have tried 5 keyboards and they all exhibit the repeating keys problem to a greater or lesser extent. The latest problem is the Edimax wireless dongle - over the past week I have tried every means possible from forums, blogs etc and we cannot get them to work. In addition if I power up my Pi with the Edimax plugged in it hangs trying to populate /dev. This Edimax works perfectly on a Windows 7 (ugh!) laptop. I looked at some posts on this forum about installing the Edimax software and one went on for 29 pages - my brain tilted after 4 pages!

Does anyone have a simple way of getting the Edimax working on a Pi that I may be able to understand. Maybe I'm too thick and I will never get it to work :(

Both our Pi's sometimes just hang when running LXDE and as a consequence all work is lost :(

We have tried multiple SD cards - this makes no difference.

Oh... my Pi USB chip (?) gets so hot after it hass been on a couple of hours I cannot touch it for more that a second or so - is this normal, is it the cause of the problems.

End of whinge.

JohnBr
I feel your pain, been there myself. The Pi is a pain in the a**e particularly with many USB devices. I fear many will judge Linux by their experience with the Pi.

The USB chip getting warm isn't really a problem. Its in spec to way above what your finger will stand. If you haven't done so already, get the latest Raspbian (Wheezy) Image, and update it with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
It won't alleviate your problems but it will probably improve things, they are improving the drivers all the time (particulary the USB).

Plain keyboards & mice work best, and if my experience is anything to go by, no-name cheapos are OK. Avoid anything Microsoft & Logitech especially if they are at the fancy end of the market. USB webcams and Wifi adapters are a lottery, some will work, some won't and a lot 'half work'. All my stuff works perfectly if I plug it into my PC running Ubuntu, I wish the same were true of the Pi.

I haven't had any problems with SD cards, but being a cheapskate, they are all cheap class 4 devices - Sandisk and Samsung

Power is paramount. I use stuff from Ebay sold as Pi power supplies, despite one of them being out of spec (600 mA - purists will throw up their hands in horror) they all work fine.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Return to “Beginners”