XIGNCY1

Pi Zero with 2-3.5" touchscreen

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:46 pm

Hi everyone. This is my first post, and I'm a complete newbie to Pi, so please bare with me.

I have a few ideas for some musical equipment modifications, and my research keeps leading me back to Pi. Before I make my first investment, was wondering if anyone has had any success running a 2-3.5" touch screen with a Pi Zero? One of my projects requires a small screen, and using a Zero would definitely help with internal space issues, but it's not a necessity. Any help in the right direction is appreciated!

HawaiianPi

Re: Pi Zero with 2-3.5" touchscreen

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:55 pm

The Zero is just a stripped down Pi1 series (ARMv6). It can do anything the Pi A/B/A+/B+ can do, but it may require some additional accessories due to its lack of a USB+Ethernet hub on-board (oh, and no analog audio either). And it doesn't have the "Display" connector as well, so you'll need a screen that uses HDMI or the GPIO header.

For a GPIO screen (HAT), you can solder on a header and plug it in like any other Pi. The latest version of Raspbian supports the PiTFT line from Adafruit up to the 2.8 inch model. The higher resolution 3.5 inch PiTFT requires a specially modified Adafruit kernel, which, unfortunately is based on an older kernel that doesn't have the latest hardware support and bug/stability/performance fixes (but since the Pi-Zero is based on the original Pi, that kernel should be okay).

There are other HAT type TFT screens as well, but they tend to be less well supported than the Adafruit PiTFT and require more effort to get running. They are usually less expensive though.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

tinylcd

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:49 am

hello

below two 3.5 inch screens have been tested on raspberry pi zero

but only one out of the two screens will have touch

http://www.neosecsolutions.com//product ... 9&cPath=20

regards
tinylcd

XIGNCY1

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:14 pm

Thanks everyone! Yeah, from what I've seen I know I'll probably need some kind of break out board fro the screen, which is ok. It'll be mounted and modified to the instrument housing. As far as audio goes, I'll be modifying a compact audio interface for that purpose. I feel way more confident now giving this a try! :D

XIGNCY1

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:49 pm

Ok, another question. Is it safe to assume that the Pi Zero can only be powered by the micro USB port (didn't realize I originally said mini USB, sorry)? I'm not really seeing anything stating I can add a GPIO of my own....
Last edited by XIGNCY1 on Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blaablaaguy

Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:37 pm

XIGNCY1 wrote:Ok, another question. Is it safe to assume that the Pi Zero can only be powered by the mini USB port? I'm not really seeing anything stating I can add a GPIO of my own....
The zero has micro usb port, not mini and can be powered from either the data or power ports. It can be powered from the gpio but that bypassed the built in fuse and there are also some pads that can be soldered to. Im not sure if the pads bypass the fuse and i dont remember which pads they actually are :roll: , someone else can answer that :
This signature intentionally left blank.

Return to “Beginners”