panmnesia

the most irritating PI Zero question

Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:18 pm

Sorry for this, but I'm here to ask about Pi Zero availability. :-)

I have read plenty about how they go out of stock, and I know that more are on the way, and it seems clear that there is no official statement about when to expect them. Understood.

I'm just asking as a Pi newbie what I might vaguely expect along these lines; going by past precedent, is a new shipment likely to happen within months? Days? Years? Minutes? Should I be checking the vendor websites every few hours, or once a week? I just have no notion of what the patterns have been.

I am signed up with a couple vendors' email alerts. I'm hoping to get a read on how long I might be waiting; if it's likely to be a month I may need to do my project on some other platform.

Thanks for any insight!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: the most irritating question

Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:47 pm

I think you've maybe missed some announcements: they're being shipped to Adafruit, Microcenter, Pimoroni and The Pi Hut weekly. All those retailers are emailing those on their mailing lists to let them know when they arrive on shelves. At the moment they're still incredibly popular and are tending to sell out on the day they go in stock, but at least they're lasting a few hours now!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

RaTTuS

Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:01 pm

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

stderr

Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:58 pm

That continues to claim that adafruit has stock, I think because it is looking on the wrong page, which might be due to adafruit changing the page for some reason. Because I'm looking for the zeros in the US, adafruit is currently the only choice online, so I'm using https://www.adafruit.com/products/2885 in a bash script to check. That does return the correct value.
liz wrote:they're being shipped to Adafruit, Microcenter, Pimoroni and The Pi Hut weekly. All those retailers are emailing those on their mailing lists to let them know when they arrive on shelves.
I can't find the zero on the microcenter site even if I pretend I'm in Dallas. Do they have some link I can test to see when they have stock?

HawaiianPi

Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:08 pm

The problem isn't entirely one of availability. I've seen them in stock several times, in big, expensive bundles, while the same dealers claim the Zero is out of stock. So there are dealers that have them, and just want to profit off their popularity by only selling them bundled with a bunch of stuff I already have or don't want.

For example:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/2885
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2816

Hmm... Adafruit has no Pi-Zeros in stock, but they have $55 Pi-Zero starter kits in stock (84 of them!). Interesting that they have none in stock, but one will magically appear if you let them bundle an extra $50 worth of crap with it. So for the price of ELEVEN Pi Zero computers you can have ONE right now if you want it. :evil:
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

kusti8

Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Well you can't blame them for trying to make money. A bare Pi0 gives literally no money for them.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:44 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:The problem isn't entirely one of availability. I've seen them in stock several times, in big, expensive bundles, while the same dealers claim the Zero is out of stock. So there are dealers that have them, and just want to profit off their popularity by only selling them bundled with a bunch of stuff I already have or don't want.

For example:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/2885
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2816

Hmm... Adafruit has no Pi-Zeros in stock, but they have $55 Pi-Zero starter kits in stock (84 of them!). Interesting that they have none in stock, but one will magically appear if you let them bundle an extra $50 worth of crap with it. So for the price of ELEVEN Pi Zero computers you can have ONE right now if you want it. :evil:
they sell most of their weekly stock of tens of thousands of single zero's, but keep a few for bundles, the single zero's sell out in a few hours, so when you look at the wrong moment you only see the bundles, but they do sell plenty (thousands a week) of single zero's.
Just be patient please.

and yes, its an irritating question, which tends to draw even more irritating responses.

HawaiianPi

Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:08 pm

kusti8 wrote:Well you can't blame them for trying to make money. A bare Pi0 gives literally no money for them.
Yes, I can blame them. The whole point of the Zero is to get cheap computers into the hands of those that want them, to encourage learning. Sure there are some who want them just to scalp them on ebay, but what the dealers are doing is almost as bad.

No one is making money on them, not even the foundation. If the dealer is only interested in profits, then they shouldn't have agreed to sell the Zero. What Adafruit is doing is crappy. I've been on their notification list for a while now without squat in my email, and yet the whole time they have had those $55 kits in stock.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

stderr

Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:11 pm

kusti8 wrote:Well you can't blame them for trying to make money. A bare Pi0 gives literally no money for them.
Of course you can't blame someone for trying to run a for profit business and make a profit. But what we've seen is that the zero has margins so low that distribution balked on it and now resellers are left with schemes that some respond negatively to, meanwhile production limits are apparently necessitated due probably to the manufacturers not really taking their usual cut either.

I realise that the pi people have if not created but definitely stepped up the game for the idea of building into a price. It used to be that tech companies priced high to start out with knowing that they would be soon dumping the product perhaps even at a loss. This new pricing method hopes to sell at close to cost to start and then as production costs go down, profit is made. This seems to be how kickstarter projects at least hope to work as well.

I do think it is a mistake to not keep your distributors and your resellers happy. Had the zero been priced at $6 and required purchases of 10 at a time, perhaps other sources would be producing a flood of the devices.

The zero has the potential to completely change how consumer devices with dedicated computers in them are made. Instead of being locked out of something you own, as is the norm today with phones and routers and TVs and pretty much everything, and rapidly being left with no support and no updates, at the heart would be a pi that pretty much would be expected by buyers to be open and available for customisation and updates from the community. When this starts to happen, people could demand this sort of openness from their devices and then everyone would have to fall in line, it's about time.

So, naturally given the potential here, I'm a bit impatient but so are many people for various reasons, including that they want to actually use the things in their homebrew whatevers.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:14 pm

If you don't want them (the sets) don't buy them. It's as simple as that! :evil:

The fact that they are selling kits does not notably diminish the number of single zero's they sell, how many "kits" do they have in stock? they get a fair share of the something like 50,000 zeros that are made each week, perhaps maybe they get 10,000 to 20,000, but I doubt they have something like 10,000 kits in stock, just a tiny fraction of the zero's they get are used for kits. Kits which generally are very useful, with adapters for USB to micro USB, and micro HDMI to HDMI, which many people need.
So stop being an irritant!

p.s. post edited to make my point more clear

stderr

Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:17 pm

mahjongg wrote:The fact that they are selling kits does not notably diminish the number of single zero's they sell, how many "kits" do they have in stock?
I suspect you are right, that adafruit have built up these kits and as they get more zero stock, they won't be putting more into kits that aren't selling, but naturally they aren't going to want to break them up either. In other words, I do *not* expect to see 840 kits (up from what, 84 or something like that now) when the next batch comes in, that would be silly.

panmnesia

Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Thanks for all the responses -- a week is no big deal for me; i'll keep checking. Nice to know that it won't be months. In my searching I found a lot of posts saying stuff like "it's been 3 months, where are the pi zeros" and such, so i got worried that maybe the shipping schedule was really intermittent. I must have been misinterpreting those posts.

penguintutor

Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:46 pm

See the following announcement and get ordering now...
http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=219 ... a72f8a68f3

Or I'm guessing that Pimoroni may have some in tomorrow (usually Wednesday morning that Pi Zeros go on sale).

RaTTuS

Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:52 pm

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

panmnesia

Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks! Narrowly missed that one (i'm UTC-8). :-) But i whipped up a script so i'll hopefully get one relatively soon.

abisdad

Re: the most irritating PI Zero question

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:54 pm

I'm a teacher in a state school in South Australia, wanting to buy 16 of these, at the advertised $5...

1. I can't find available stock.

2. Where I do find limited stock, it's always about 5 times the cost...

Very frustrated, as are my students too! :'(

W. H. Heydt

Re: the most irritating PI Zero question

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:34 am

abisdad wrote:I'm a teacher in a state school in South Australia, wanting to buy 16 of these, at the advertised $5...

1. I can't find available stock.

2. Where I do find limited stock, it's always about 5 times the cost...

Very frustrated, as are my students too! :'(
Supplies have gotten better since January (when this thread started), while the retailers that carry them (listed in the second post of the thread) and take orders over the web (3 of the 4, MicroCenter being the exception), the bare boards are still being limited one per order.

What you *might* do is contact one of the retailers, probably either PiHut or Pimoroni given where you are located and inquire about a bulk order specifically for educational uses.

In the mean time, is there some specific reason that only a Pi Zero will do, rather that some other model of Pi?

Return to “Beginners”