wiredwrx

RASPI 3 - built in WiFi won't connect

Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:25 pm

Running Raspbian Jessie, latest build (just updated last night). I have setup my AP to serve DHCP, but reserved IP 192.168.1.20 for the PI based on the PIs MAC address which I found with the ifconfig command. I am connected to internet via eth0. When I attempt to setup wlan0 to access the internet, I choose the SSID, and it asks for a "Pre Shared Key" I enter my wpa key, but it never connects via wifi. When checking the status of the connections, it says "wlan0: Not associated" I have tried unplugging the cat5 cable, as well as rebooting with the cat5 cable disconnected, but I am never able to connect over wifi. I have also tried ifdown and ifup commands for wlan0, but that does not cure the problem

I searched, and found this post regarding static IPs "viewtopic.php?p=798866#p798866" In the second post, user knute suggests editing dhcpd.conf instead of /network/interfaces. When I open dhcpd with nano, the file is empty. Interfaces appears normal.

When I nano wpa_supplicant.conf, the SSID is correct, and wep_key0 is correct, but key_mgmt indicates "None."

Any help is greatly appreciated.

drgeoff

Re: RASPI 3 - BUILT IN WIFI WON'T CONNECT

Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:08 pm

dhcpcd.conf

wiredwrx

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:13 am

Thanks. Got the file, and at least it has text in it, but nothing stands out to me as being a problem or incorrect.

Do you have any suggestions?

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:52 am

What kind of authentication scheme are you using? WEP, WPA, WPA2? How is your keying? PSK?
Account Inactive

wiredwrx

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:57 am

I am using WEP.

klricks

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:26 am

wiredwrx wrote:I am using WEP.
If at all possible change to WPA2 and it will just work. WEP is like no security at all these days.
If you must.... Somewhere in this thread there is a hint of how to set up WEP: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=140213&hilit=+wep#p939667
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

wiredwrx

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:06 am

Thanks. I have some legacy stuff in the house, and can't upgrade to WPA. But, your post helped me search a little better and focus on the WEP problem. I found a post that suggested removing the quotation marks around the wep key in wpa_supplicant.conf. I did that, and wonder of wonders, it worked. I am grateful--thanks for all the help.

jimb137

Re: RASPI 3 - built in WiFi won't connect

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:04 pm

I, too, am having wifi issues with Jessie on my RPi3. If I connect via Cat-5 between eth0 and my router Internet access works just fine. However, if I attempt to use wlan0, I get no connectivity. My router uses WPA/WPA2 for security, and all other wifi devices at home (e.g., phones, tablets, laptops, desktops, printer and RPi Wheezy on RPi2) connect and operate just fine.

I tried a couple of months ago to make this work, and I was told the only solution wasto get rid of WEP and upgrade to WPA. Done (painfully). Still not working for RPi3 with Jessie. I have observed via ifconfig, et al, that both interfaces appear to be set correctly (IP, Netmask - 255.255.255.0, etc.). However the wifi icon reports

" eth0: Configured 10.10.10.112/24
wlan0: Associated with mywifihub
wlan0: Configured 10.10.10.106/8"

The wired connection yields full Internet access (DNS, WWW, etc.) while my browser reports:

"Oops! It was not possible to show this website

The website at http://www.abc.com seems to be unavailable. The precise error was:

Could not connect: Network is unreachable"

If I plug the Cat-5 back in everything works again. I have need for a wifi-based solution, and it is not possible to run a cable to this computer. It appears that the wifi is picking up the wrong netmask (/24 vs /8) or not setting the correct path to the router, or more.

Please HELP!!!

brassic

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:06 pm

I have exactly the same problem. I set my new pi3b up and tried to connect but it just closes the password window when i enter it. I bought a new router so i could use wpa 2 as advised but still nothing. ive never had an issue even on mu old router with wep running various linux distros but the rasbarian just doesnt seem to work. I got it to connect to a bt wifi hotspot ok but this costs money and i have a perfectly adequate net connection at home running many devices with no issues. So ive tried different routers and encryptions but nothing seems to work and i know the net works on the hotspot but that doesnt require a password to connect.

jimb137

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:24 pm

I suspect that the implementors of the wifi package missed a few details. My home network (many nodes, a couple of segments) uses 10-net addresses (e.g., 10.1.2.3). Each segment is set up as a class C network (netmask /24 or 255.255.255.0). This is a proven and legal technology. I helped implement it statewide in California for a large state agency who wanted/needed to minimize their connections to the internet, while sending all internal traffic via the 10-net complex.

After I did the WEP to WPA2 upgrade everything, except the RPI3 (Jessie) worked flawlessly. The RPI3 Jessie can now connect to any of my routers, but always sets the netmask wrong (/8 or 255.0.0.0).

An interesting side note... All of my devices, e.g., Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 10, RPI1 or 2 (Wheezy), Onion Omega (WRT Linux), CI20 (Debian 7), Sun Solaris, Mint Linux on an old PC and several phones and tablets (Android ot IOS) all connect and get set up correctly. Only the RPI3 (Jessie) fails to work. So clearly its my fault :^( I think not! But until this code is fixed on the RPI3 my investment it has been wasted.

OBTW, The RPI3 (Jessie) works just fine when wired directly to a router with CAT-5 cable, but who wants to to that. At one time I had CAT-5 running all over the house, with a couple of switches to support the infrastructure. Returning to that would be almost as bad as returning to coaxial cable and "Vampire" taps (a reminder for us old guys).

Please, somebody look at the Jessie WIFI code and see why we are having such difficulty.

paparaq

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:24 am

Yep same issue here on the vanilla install of Rasbian. Also tried to connect to my iPhone’s hotspot. The SSID showed up (the ASCII decoding of the comma had conniptions) but it wouldn’t accept the PW; “Invalid Argument”. When connecting to my WEP nothing happened. I’ll try some of the suggestions above and report back. This is annoying.

Return to “Beginners”