RDK

sudo apt-get upgrade interrupted - now won't boot correctly

Tue May 10, 2016 8:51 am

Folks....Raspberry Pi 2 running Jessie

I was doing a

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get upgrade
when the process was interrupted which returned me to a command prompt. When I rebooted the console log shows several "Failed" messages and it would appear that the rc.local is not being processed nor the networks file. Here are a couple messages the I copied from the screen:
Failed to start /etc/rc.local compatibility
See "systemclt status rc-local.service" for details
The results from the above suggested command were too much to write here, see the attached jpg file
"system[1]: Unit system-milules-load.service entered failed state
Is there anything I can do to get this fixed and back up and running?

Thanks....RDK
Attachments
RDK_3951.jpg
RDK_3951.jpg (26.89 KiB) Viewed 2104 times

darkbibble

Re: sudo apt-get upgrade interrupted - now won't boot correc

Tue May 10, 2016 12:33 pm

did you expand the file system using raspi-config before running update??

if you didn't you just filled the cards partition up full, so will need to reimage the card
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

RDK

Tue May 10, 2016 12:46 pm

I did nothing to the SD card before running the Update sequence. It is a 16 GB card, which should be plenty large enough.

However, the interrupt was not initialed by the Pi, it was my fault. I was using Putty and reviewing the progress when it asked about changing a "...RULES..." file. I should have replied No, but instead selected the "compare" option. While trying to exit the "compare" I accidently aborted the update.

Hopefully there is a way to fix this and not have to rebuild the SD card....RDK

klricks

Tue May 10, 2016 1:12 pm

RDK wrote:I did nothing to the SD card before running the Update sequence. It is a 16 GB card, which should be plenty large enough.......
NO...... If you installed a standalone image (not NOOBS), then you MUST expand the filesystem before attempting to do any updates or installs.
If not, the default partition will be almost full at installation leaving only ~115MB free regardless of the size of the SD.
If you run out of disk space during an update, the OS will likely get trashed requiring a re image.

Also you need to always do sudo apt-get update (same day), before doing any upgrade or installation.

Expand using the first option in sudo raspi-config or the GUI config utility in [Menu] --> [Preferences]
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Rive

Tue May 10, 2016 2:10 pm

In any event, re-install your OS (restore the backup image you should have created) that is how you fix it.
DNPNWO

stderr

Tue May 10, 2016 3:22 pm

RDK wrote:I did nothing to the SD card before running the Update sequence. It is a 16 GB card, which should be plenty large enough.
The issue is the partition, not the entire card. Before you run an update or install a program or anything like that that might need disk space, certainly you should be cognisant of available space and one good way to do that is to check:

df -h

heartbeat

Tue May 10, 2016 5:13 pm

make sure your sd card is formatted correctly
Best way to format you USB stick and install You Raspery Pi
https://goo.gl/tAi3ms
download free

RDK

Wed May 11, 2016 5:07 pm

ok, I did have a backup, several months old, but as this Pi was on the shelf being ignored since then, it was recent enough for me to recover the work from the past week or so.

It is a Jessie image upgraded from a NOOBS Wheezy image. I will look at the Raspi-Config to see if it can be expanded. Previously with NOOBS Wheezy images that option did nothing.

Anyway, it is back in operation. Thanks for your comments...RDK

klricks

Wed May 11, 2016 5:15 pm

If you used NOOBs then the filesystem is already automatically expanded at installation.
I would suggest to install the full Jessie and not attempt to upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie.
Make sure you are using an 8GB+ SD card as even a simple update wheezy will overrun a 4GB card unless you delete some things first. This happened to 2 of my older 1B with 4GB cards.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Beginners”