twlum

Do I need more than one RPi?

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:10 pm

I was brought into the Raspberry Pi world through Octoprint and Retropie and I am really starting to get interested in a lot of projects. My question is this...Am I right in assuming that all I really need is more MicroSD cards but only 1 RPi to run different projects? If I am understanding this correctly, I could have a card with Octopi on it, a card with Retropie on it, one card for learning command line linux, anther card for playing around with an Alexa type computer, etc, etc... Am I missing something or can I really just shut down the RPI, put a new sd card in and reboot and the Pi will just pick up where I last left off with that project? Do other things need to be rewritten and formatted and I am missing something? I'm sorry for the basic question but I am just starting out and wanted to make sure I didn't go into something unprepared.
Thanks in advance,
Tom
Last edited by twlum on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fredoll

Re: Do I need more than one RPi?

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:15 pm

you're right, one sdcard for one system is fine

drgeoff

Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:05 pm

Everything is on the SD card (and possibly USB drive). Remove card A and replace with card B:

1. The RPi has nothing left of what you were doing with A.

2. Whatever situation you were in previously with B will be restored.

3. Nothing you do with B will change A. When you swap back to A, everything will be as it was just before you powered down and removed A.

CaptSunset

Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Be sure to learn how to clone your cards; as you go along, you kinda fine-tune the basic system to your liking, and then build on that, especially with added applications.

I put little dots with a pointy paint marker on the ridge end of the microSD cards to tell them apart; and I find there is a big practical difference between using USB drives and the internal card.
(btw, there's a really handy new 64 gig thumbnail-sized flash drive from Kingston that has standard USB on one end and mini-USB on the other- connects to about everything.)

After 2 years, I have 3 Pi 2Bs and 2 Pi 3Bs; two 2Bs are camera-equipped, the third is velcro'd to my TV & does Kodi HTPC. One 3B is for sourcing a Bluetooth audio amp, and the other is for fooling around with coding, and helping me migrate off Wintel asap.

This, and all the needed accessories like cameras, cases, wallwarts, SD cards, and keyboards is still $100 less than replacing my w7 Acer would have cost...

darkbibble

Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:12 pm

ive got different cards for different things, i got 1 set as my desktop, 1 im trying retro pi on, and 1 for trying new things on, and a spare one for when i start to learn to program
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

twlum

Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Thank you for the quick replies! I ordered more cards already.
Tom

W. H. Heydt

Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:40 pm

To answer the question in the title...

No, you don't NEED more than one Pi. However, you will probably WANT to have more than one Pi. This will be especially true when you decide to dedicate a Pi to a project while you work on other projects.

stderr

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:03 pm

twlum wrote:Am I right in assuming that all I really need is more MicroSD cards but only 1 RPi to run different projects? If I am understanding this correctly, I could have a card with Octopi on it, a card with Retropie on it, one card for learning command line linux, anther card for playing around with an Alexa type computer, etc, etc... Am I missing something or can I really just shut down the RPI, put a new sd card in and reboot and the Pi will just pick up where I last left off with that project?
You can although if you at least think like Noah, the ark guy, two of everything, you'll have a back up if something goes wrong or worse you just think it might have gone wrong but aren't really sure. You don't need two horses, two cows, two chickens and two goats, but if you have two pi, two sdcards, two wall warts and two ethernet cards, you'll be up and running with two of your projects at the same time, which is nice because then you'll not always have to shut one down to do anything with the other.

Of course don't forget that you can "learn the command line" on most any unix like OS that lets you have access to a command line, which would be most all of them.

DougieLawson

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:27 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:To answer the question in the title...

No, you don't NEED more than one Pi. However, you will probably WANT to have more than one Pi. This will be especially true when you decide to dedicate a Pi to a project while you work on other projects.
Except when you apply the cyclist's rule. You always need one more RPi than the number you've already go. That probably explains why I've got ten RPis.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

MarkHaysHarris777

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:51 pm

DougieLawson wrote:

Except when you apply the cyclist's rule. You always need one more RPi than the number you've already got. That probably explains why I've got ten RPis.
Yes, I agree. I need at least a dozen of those things... you can ask my wife! My trouble is that I keep giving them away... I have a collection of computers from back in the day (say antiques). The are all running some flavor of gnu+linux and they all have several things in common:
1) they get hot
2) they are slow
3) they are big
4) they are heavy
5) they have moving parts (fragile HDD, and noisy fans)
6) they take up lots of space
7) they are uuugly.

Now then, I am replacing them with iddy bitty computers that are fast, small, lite weight, cool, take up almost no space, and are classy cased objects of abject beauty !

Yeah, I need about a dozen of those puppies...
marcus
:ugeek:

tweak42

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:11 am

I would like to add if you are just settling on one Pi, to get quality micro SD cards and not just the cheapest thing on sale. Good micro SD cards just make things faster if you're going to be swapping, cloning, backup and booting a lot trying things out.

You can read more about speeds here:
http://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff- ... crosd-card

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:23 am

DougieLawson wrote:

Except when you apply the cyclist's rule. You always need one more RPi than the number you've already go. That probably explains why I've got ten RPis.
Piker. I've got over 10 Model B and over 10 Pi2B, plus at least 3 B+. Only 3 Pi3B...so far. I need at least two more. And a couple of A+ (two 512MB ones on order) and CM.

Return to “Beginners”