blackcoffee

Beginner needing help choosing which electronics pack to get

Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:41 am

Hey guys,

I'm new to programming (currently learning Python at university) and have done some breadboarding back when I was a kid. I am looking at getting a Pi and figured an electronics pack would be cool to get! So I've seen the Adafruit Starter pack (https://www.adafruit.com/products/3058) and the Canakit Ultimate Starter Kit (http://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-3-ultimate-kit.html)

Is there another kit you guys would recommend? Or which of these two kits would be best? I was hoping for something with a book/guide to get me started.

Thanks

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: Beginner needing help choosing which electronics pack to

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:35 am

Sparkfun has a good one, as well MCM Element 14 also has a few good sets...

Sparkfun also has quite a few on-line tutorials. Ada Fruit has some good stuff too... and of course you can assemble your own kit(s) once you get started.

To get started you will need some common resistor values, a couple of LEDs, a solderless pluggable bread-board, and some hook-up wires... I like the ones that are female on the one end (for plugging onto the PI) and male on the other end (for plugging into the breadboard). You might also be interested in the cable and breakout gizzmo that Sparkfun has built that lets you run the entire GPIO bus out to the bread-board with one flat ribbon cable (most of the good kits have this option).

Best of luck. (start simple)
marcus
:ugeek:

blackcoffee

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:24 am

Hey Marcus thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I live in Australia and neither of those sites ship to me :(

Does anyone have any other kits they'd recommend?

fruit-uk

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:54 am

Some of the sensor kits advertised forArduinos may be useful - but be aware that many are designed for 5V, Pi GPIOs are 3.3V max, so take precautions.
There will be many suggestions online for connecting these to Pis - but make sure you check a few to make sure they are workable!

MarkHaysHarris777

Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:39 pm

blackcoffee wrote:Hey Marcus thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I live in Australia and neither of those sites ship to me
Rats. :shock:

Perhaps you could find a friend or associate who would be willing (able) to get it for you and ship it to you. I'm finding it hard to believe in the 21st century that these outfits like Element14 are not willing to ship to Sidney, or Melbourne (I mean, if you're in the outback with the wallabies and the aboriginals) but, an Australian city should be like any other city actually...

... well, this is an international forum (somebody will have a solution).

:geek:
marcus
:ugeek:

Slackware

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:56 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
blackcoffee wrote:Hey Marcus thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I live in Australia and neither of those sites ship to me
Rats. :shock:

Perhaps you could find a friend or associate who would be willing (able) to get it for you and ship it to you. I'm finding it hard to believe in the 21st century that these outfits like Element14 are not willing to ship to Sidney, or Melbourne (I mean, if you're in the outback with the wallabies and the aboriginals) but, an Australian city should be like any other city actually...

... well, this is an international forum (somebody will have a solution).

:geek:

Maybe they are afraid they will assemble a 3D printer and print a gun. :o

Return to “Beginners”