Sherif AbdEl-Hamid

Pi 2 vs 3 (regarding tutorials & courses)

Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:48 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here

I just learned about the raspberry pi recently and I like the idea & want to get into it, however, IDK if I should get the Pi 2 or 3
I understand the difference in hardware,but the problem is that almost all online courses and tutorials are for the Pi 2 model B
my question is: Is there a huge difference in programming between the two? or are the differences minor that I can buy the Pi 3 yet still learn using the courses made for the Pi 2 and adapt to the differences with some googling?

thanks in advance for any help!

dgordon42

Re: Pi 2 vs 3 (regarding tutorials & courses)

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:05 am

Get a Pi 3 B, it will work with any course, tutorial, or program that a Pi 2 will work with.

Hope this helps,
Dave.

java

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:42 am

To all intents and purposes, the Pi3 is a turbo charged Pi2 ... , with the only significant bit being, that they will each needs a kernel to suit the processor in each. Further everything is identical.

rpdom

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:09 am

java wrote:To all intents and purposes, the Pi3 is a turbo charged Pi2 ... , with the only significant bit being, that they will each needs a kernel to suit the processor in each. Further everything is identical.
Actually, the Pi2 and Pi3 currently use the same kernel. The Pi 1 and Zero use a different one.

There are a few differences between the 2 and 3. Mostly things like the LEDs no longer being driven by the standard GPIOs and the serial UARTs being swapped over to enable Bluetooth.

MarkHaysHarris777

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:15 am

Definitely go with the PI 3B ... its faster, its complete (bluetooth, wifi), and for the most part nothing really has changed that will affect education; however, always be aware that tutorials (on-line and otherwise) are dated. We just can´t get away from that concept.

I´ll give you a for-instance. The activity light on the 2B is tied to the GPIO pins and the student can toggle the light momentarily under program control. This will not work on the 3B... the lights have been moved to the other side of the board (to accommodate the on-board wifi antennae) and [the LED] is no longer tied to the GPIO.

Most of the difference you will find in on-line (and other) examples and tutorials between the 2B and 3B will have to do with the difference between wheezy and jessie raspbian. But, they are close enough that you´ll be able to figure it out.

The 3B is snappier, has on-board connectivity, and is the same price... its a no brainer really.

:ugeek:
Last edited by MarkHaysHarris777 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
marcus

Sherif AbdEl-Hamid

Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:13 pm

so the pi 3 it is ,thanks for the help guys!
another question -if I may-, What sensors,resistors,...etc do u suggest I get to start learning the basics before I start doing specific projects?

MarkHaysHarris777

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:48 am

Sherif AbdEl-Hamid wrote:so the pi 3 it is ,thanks for the help guys!
another question -if I may-, What sensors,resistors,...etc do u suggest I get to start learning the basics before I start doing specific projects?
I like the stuff from either Ada Fruit or Sparkfun; both come with the Raspberry PI. Its a great way to get started if you are new to the game.

There are others too... do some shopping on-line.

Best of luck
marcus

B.Goode

Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:13 am

Sherif AbdEl-Hamid wrote:What sensors,resistors,...etc do u suggest I get to start learning the basics before I start doing specific projects?
Another option: http://camjam.me/?page_id=618

MarkHaysHarris777

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:08 am

Sorry, I forgot the options from MCM Element 14 (starter kits); these are all good.

marcus

Sherif AbdEl-Hamid

Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:44 am

thanks for the help guys
after taking a look at all available options I think I will get this one and buyi the pi separately
http://www.amazon.com/SunFounder-Projec ... spberry+Pi
is that a reasonable choice?

java

Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:19 am

rpdom wrote:
java wrote:To all intents and purposes, the Pi3 is a turbo charged Pi2 ... , with the only significant bit being, that they will each needs a kernel to suit the processor in each. Further everything is identical.
Actually, the Pi2 and Pi3 currently use the same kernel. The Pi 1 and Zero use a different one.

There are a few differences between the 2 and 3. Mostly things like the LEDs no longer being driven by the standard GPIOs and the serial UARTs being swapped over to enable Bluetooth.
The OP, was enquiring about online courses and software, if I understood correctly. :)

In that context, they are essentially identical, to all intents and purposes. Or so I understand.

Thus a software course and instructions for a Pi2 and a Pi3 would be the same and equally valid on either version of RPi.

Return to “Beginners”