RJD2

Why does Kali seem faster/better than Rasbian to me?

Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:03 pm

After researching which OS to start with, I found Rasbian was the overwhelming choice.
I had two SD cards so I decided to try Kali just for fun.
Everything I read said Rasbian was optimized for the Pi, but in comparison so far, for me, Kali seems a lot more stable and faster. Is it just my imagination? Am I missing something?
I've had much less crashes and issues with terminal commands using Kali, for sure...but it also feels like it boots fast and loads web pages faster/smoother.
Keep in mind I am using this like a desktop computer.
I'm mainly using it to surf the web, but am also using it to download media during the day while at work so I can upload it to my media computer later.

It seems like rasbian is also weighed down with a bunch of development/office programs where Kali seems more "lite". I don't plan on using any of the development programs, so am I better off sticking with Kali?

This is on the Pi 3 BTW

r3d4

Re: Why does Kali seem faster/better than Rasbian to me?

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:31 pm

try openwrt or tcl :lol: :P

But shirley only you can say why things seem *whatever* to you ?

;)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:22 am

RJD2 wrote:After researching which OS to start with, I found Rasbian was the overwhelming choice.
I had two SD cards so I decided to try Kali just for fun.
Everything I read said Rasbian was optimized for the Pi, but in comparison so far, for me, Kali seems a lot more stable and faster. Is it just my imagination? Am I missing something?
I've had much less crashes and issues with terminal commands using Kali, for sure...but it also feels like it boots fast and loads web pages faster/smoother.
Keep in mind I am using this like a desktop computer.
I'm mainly using it to surf the web, but am also using it to download media during the day while at work so I can upload it to my media computer later.

It seems like rasbian is also weighed down with a bunch of development/office programs where Kali seems more "lite". I don't plan on using any of the development programs, so am I better off sticking with Kali?

This is on the Pi 3 BTW
I'd be intrigued to know why you think Raspbian is unstable, I have it running for weeks on end with no issues. If you are encountering problems you need to create bug reports tso issues can be fixed.

Kali will be loading less stuff on startup, that will be faster. Not sure about webpages, would expect that stuff to be a similar speed.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

jahboater

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:38 am

Use this to measure boot time:-

Code: Select all

systemd-analyze
Add the argument "blame" to get more details.
Are both your SD cards identical?

Raspbian is stable as a rock for me.
Can you give an example of something that crashes?
"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk
about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth."
- Greta Thunberg

Return to “Beginners”