darkbibble
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:20 pm
Location: corby, england

i cant play flash streams

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:20 pm

im having trouble to play a tv station online feed, if I use their website it says it needs flash 11,
I have chromium 48 installed and the youtube extension.

the video stream is hosted here http://www.kerrang.com/tv/ I cant find the stream address from the page to use vlc player either.
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 13069
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: i cant play flash streams

Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:07 pm

That's right. You can't play flash on the Pi. This is because there is no flash player that runs on ARM chips. There is a "workalike" called "gnash". I haven't done anything with that since the days of the 256MB Model B. It should do better on a Pi3B (ten times faster, after all), but it's dubious that it would play video at an acceptable frame rate.

Fortunately for you, flash is--generally speaking--on it's way out. The replacement is HTML5, which is supported on the Pi.

darkbibble
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:20 pm
Location: corby, england

Re: i cant play flash streams

Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:53 pm

I thought chromium48 was supposed to do html5.

I think I found a stream address but vlcplayer wont play it.
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 23917
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: i cant play flash streams

Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:11 pm

darkbibble wrote:I thought chromium48 was supposed to do html5.

I think I found a stream address but vlcplayer wont play it.
Search forum for PepperFlash, which requires Chromium Browser installed as a prerequisite..
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

darkbibble
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:20 pm
Location: corby, england

Re: i cant play flash streams

Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:25 pm

I cant find uptodate instructions to install pepperflash, in all 3 threads I read it stated it was full of vulnarabilitys, and to use flash20 instead, but there is no install instructions for that either
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 39626
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: i cant play flash streams

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:14 pm

darkbibble wrote:I cant find uptodate instructions to install pepperflash, in all 3 threads I read it stated it was full of vulnarabilitys, and to use flash20 instead, but there is no install instructions for that either
Play your Flash junk on some (any) other computer. It's all due to Apple and Adobe having a big bust up over flash on ARM processors about eight years ago. HTML5 is better supported and Flash needs to be encouraged to die (the sooner the better).
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 23917
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: i cant play flash streams

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:18 pm

darkbibble wrote:I cant find uptodate instructions to install pepperflash, in all 3 threads I read it stated it was full of vulnarabilitys, and to use flash20 instead, but there is no install instructions for that either
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=99202&p=936916#p936916
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

darkbibble
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:20 pm
Location: corby, england

Re: i cant play flash streams

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:22 pm

according to the scripting of the site it says html5 playback should be supported. but chromium48 says I need flash, so im guessing that chromium48 isnt html5 compatible too

I just want to be able to watch the tv stream on my pi
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 39626
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: i cant play flash streams

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:31 pm

It depends on the browser identification string and how the stupid website you're accessing uses or abuses it. Chromium supports HTML5 extremely well.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: i cant play flash streams

Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:13 pm

Chromium does work with HTML5, but you can't just say,
"You! Play HTML5!" It's up to the designers who made the website, and not having the smarts to use HTML5 and use a dying technology. Ask the website if they can redesign to use HTML5.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

mathboy4life
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:29 pm

Re: i cant play flash streams

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:05 am

kusti8 wrote:Chromium does work with HTML5, but you can't just say,
"You! Play HTML5!" It's up to the designers who made the website, and not having the smarts to use HTML5 and use a dying technology. Ask the website if they can redesign to use HTML5.
It takes money to upgrade to HTML5. If they wanted to spend hundreds to upgrade to html5 they would have. It's not about "smarts to use HTML5 and use a dying technology." It's about paying some one to do the upgrade.

Also I can write a script that searches for the youtube url on any giving page on that site and play the song PM for more information.

java
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:41 am

Re: i cant play flash streams

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:36 am

mathboy4life wrote:
kusti8 wrote:Chromium does work with HTML5, but you can't just say,
"You! Play HTML5!" It's up to the designers who made the website, and not having the smarts to use HTML5 and use a dying technology. Ask the website if they can redesign to use HTML5.
It takes money to upgrade to HTML5. If they wanted to spend hundreds to upgrade to html5 they would have. It's not about "smarts to use HTML5 and use a dying technology." It's about paying some one to do the upgrade.

Also I can write a script that searches for the youtube url on any giving page on that site and play the song PM for more information.
Well - you want to make money - then you better be prepared to spend some money. Fact of life ...

These days - if a site says I need flash, my reaction is simple - I don't need the site or it's content. I will get it elsewhere - thank you very much - GOOD-BYE.

There are a lot of folk like me - believe it or not.

You snooze - you loose.

Return to “Beginners”