jimjulian

easy interface

Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:12 am

Hello,

I'm a beginner and am a little bewildered by the interface options for the Raspberry Pi 3B.
Doesn't it accept a simple laptop as input/output device?

Thank you,
Jim

DougieLawson

Re: easy interface

Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:58 pm

Laptops aren't that type of device, they're a full scale computer just like your RPi is a full scale computer. You need a bootable SDCard, USB keyboard & mouse, a power supply, a HDMI cable and TV/monitor.

Once you have your RPi running there are ways to connect using PuTTY, VNC or XRDP to get control of your RPi remotely.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

mattmiller

Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:07 pm

The Pi is a small desktop computer so you need to plug in a monitor, keyboard and mouse just like most other computers.

It also needs a power supply and an SD card as it doesn't come with a built in hard drive to store stuff on

That will get you going

Many other advanced options but this is the standard config

Mathew

jimjulian

Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:52 pm

Thank you both.

I'm assuming the VGA/HDMI/DVI port on my laptop is output only.

Can a cable adapt a monitor with only VGA input? Could I use a HDMI male to VGA male cable to connect?

Thank you

liudr

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:03 pm

Both your computer and raspberry pi have video outputs. Neither is able to take in video. Don't try to connect the two devices together with HDMI. If you are running windows, download mobaxterm and use ssh to log in to your pi remotely on your pc.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

ghans

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:06 pm

You need an active converter to connect VGA displays to
HDMI outputs , not a passive cable.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

jimjulian

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:11 pm

I want to use the Raspberry Pi as a data acquisition system.

There is a device referred to as a 5" HDMI TFT touchscreen available.
Could that be used as the initial output and/input device? It is supposed to be compatible with the 3B. Would Inneed the equivalent of drivers for the device?

Thank you

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:16 pm

The PI supports all HDMI devices, and reads configuration data from them to configure itself, so you never need a "driver" just for a HDMI device.

ghans

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:58 pm

I would probe the touchscreen seller whether they offer
EMail support for Linux newbies. Refrain from sellers
which just want you to download their "images" or
"precompiled" drivers. Get them to state instructions
for foundation Raspbian images and gauge their commitment
to update them when neccessary.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

jimjulian

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:41 am

I realize the device handles all HDMI. The reason I thought drivers might be necessary is for the touchscreen.

Thank you.

jimjulian

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:30 am

Hello,

I've decided to try a LAN cable approach at :

https://pihw.wordpress.com/guides/direc ... onnection/

I have a cable modem/ router combination that will let me use wifi and LAN at the same time.

Thank you

__Plasma__

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:10 pm

If you are new to the Pi I would suggest plugging in a keyboard, mouse and monitor and configure it directly, you can then see it booting and any related errors without having to go digging in the logs. I recently set up a touch screen on mine (which incidentally uses and HDMI to VGA adapter for the display) and while I didn't need any drivers, there was a lot of experimentation in order to get the touchscreen calibrated and have right click working.

Plasma

Return to “Beginners”