Taxicletter

Rename SD card (no permission)

Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi,

I just bought a SD card, 8 GB class 10, I formatted it with gparted, FAT32 and now I want to rename it. I can't do that, because I have no rights???

I'm in the same account (I only have the default Pi-user) as the one with which I formatted. Where is the logic in that??? When I see the properties, I see three times "only the owner", but I AM the owner, on top of the info panel it says: "Owner: pi". (I tried changing the permissions to "everybody", I don't get an error doing that, but the changes don't stay. I would expect an error message when I click "OK"...)

Not only would I like a solution, but maybe also some info to understand this rather onlogical behaviour?

Thanks already ;-)
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

stderr

Re: Rename SD card (no permission)

Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:45 pm

Taxicletter wrote:I'm in the same account (I only have the default Pi-user) as the one with which I formatted. Where is the logic in that???
Some operations require root level permission. If you are using sudo in front of gparted and you are using that to rename it, that should work. FAT32 doesn't have support on the drive itself for the unix permission scheme, so if you are mounting it some way, the permissions you see might not be what you want unless you set things up correctly at mount or in fstab.

Taxicletter

Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:47 pm

stderr wrote:Some operations require root level permission. If you are using sudo in front of gparted and you are using that to rename it, that should work. FAT32 doesn't have support on the drive itself for the unix permission scheme, so if you are mounting it some way, the permissions you see might not be what you want unless you set things up correctly at mount or in fstab.
I understand, "some operations". But renaming a disk?
I use the graphical interface of gparted, so there's no "putting sudo's in front" of anything :-). Or could I do "sudo gparted" in the terminal to start?
So I should format in FAT16? OK, I'll remember that.

How can I "set things up correctly at mount"?

Thank you stderr.
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

DougieLawson

Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:58 pm

You should use sudo gparted in a LXterminal unless you're running the GUI as root (not recommended).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

stderr

Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:56 pm

Taxicletter wrote:I understand, "some operations". But renaming a disk?
A disk is a system device that isn't really just available to one user and devices can be mounted based on their labels. So what if user A decides to change the label on his drive to the label of user B so that the drive will (or might) mount on top of the other drive and then silently will accumulate the private musings of user B and then at the desired reboot, he changes it back and takes that information for whatever his purposes are?

Of course if user whatever has physical access to his drive, he can go somewhere else and change the label, so requiring sudo isn't going to solve it all.

But the above works, I think, for a hacker in eastern Europe whose got a hold of one of your non-sudo locked down accounts, that you've made to let each drive "owner" willy nilly change the disk labels on.

Taxicletter

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:00 pm

stderr wrote:
Taxicletter wrote:A disk is a system device that isn't really just available to one user and devices can be mounted based on their labels. So what if user A decides to change the label on his drive to the label of user B so that the drive will (or might) mount on top of the other drive and then silently will accumulate the private musings of user B and then at the desired reboot, he changes it back and takes that information for whatever his purposes are?
Of course, I see the logic in that. Thanks for the explanation!

Return to “Beginners”