SamDoesPi

Arduino

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:33 pm

Is there a version of the Arduino IDE for the Pi, and can I put an Arduino UNO stacked on the Pi and controlled by it?

asandford

Re: Arduino

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:39 pm

SamDoesPi wrote:Is there a version of the Arduino IDE for the Pi, and can I put an Arduino UNO stacked on the Pi and controlled by it?
Yes, and no

joan

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:40 pm

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install arduino

liudr

Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:43 am

The version of arduino is probably outdated 1.01
You don't stack arduino on raspberry pi. You use a usb cable to connect them.
Why are you looking for arduino IDE for raspberry pi? Download arduino's latest IDE to your main computer. Program arduino from there, not on raspberry pi.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

DirkS

Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:45 am

liudr wrote:Download arduino's latest IDE to your main computer. Program arduino from there, not on raspberry pi.
What if the main computer *is* a Pi?

kolban

Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:57 am

This thread may also be of use to you. It talks about a port of the Arduino runtime to the Pi so that you can run Arduino sketches natively on the Pi.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=134928
FREE book on Raspberry Pi usage and programming

https://leanpub.com/pi

liudr

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:15 pm

DirkS wrote:
liudr wrote:Download arduino's latest IDE to your main computer. Program arduino from there, not on raspberry pi.
That's slow. I'd rather use the .zip version of arduino IDE on a library computer.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

DirkS

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:10 pm

liudr wrote:
DirkS wrote:
That's slow. I'd rather use the .zip version of arduino IDE on a library computer.
Have you ever tried it? I have even run the Arduino IDE on a model B and I can't say it was particularly slow.

It looks to me that a lot of your opinions are just that: opinions, and they don't seem to be based on any personal practical experience.

liudr

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:31 pm

Have you ever tried it? I have even run the Arduino IDE on a model B and I can't say it was particularly slow.

It looks to me that a lot of your opinions are just that: opinions, and they don't seem to be based on any personal practical experience.

Of course I have on b and 2b. Unless you dont compile anything, you are going to find it slow. I am comparing it with core 2 duo and atomz3xxx series. These are not fast machines. So what is your opinion based on? I have compared first compile times on b and then 2b with pcs I have around, and decided they were too slow. Again my opinion is just mine, numbers are subjective, right?

W. H. Heydt

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:49 pm

liudr wrote:That's slow. I'd rather use the .zip version of arduino IDE on a library computer.

Of course I have on b and 2b. Unless you dont compile anything, you are going to find it slow. I am comparing it with core 2 duo and atomz3xxx series. These are not fast machines. So what is your opinion based on? I have compared first compile times on b and then 2b with pcs I have around, and decided they were too slow. Again my opinion is just mine, numbers are subjective, right?
Factor in the time to make the round trip to the library and then compare speed.

rpdom

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:19 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
liudr wrote:That's slow. I'd rather use the .zip version of arduino IDE on a library computer.

Factor in the time to make the round trip to the library and then compare speed.
About two minutes for me, if I'm not there anyway ;)

How would you run the software on a library computer though? Ours are all locked down and you can't install/run anything but the preinstalled sotware.

stderr

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:25 am

rpdom wrote:How would you run the software on a library computer though? Ours are all locked down and you can't install/run anything but the preinstalled sotware.
Run ssh through the library computer browser back to your home pi and use that?

rpdom

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:36 am

stderr wrote:
rpdom wrote:How would you run the software on a library computer though? Ours are all locked down and you can't install/run anything but the preinstalled sotware.
Run ssh through the library computer browser back to your home pi and use that?
ssh on a Library computer (even assuming that the protocol was allowed on their network) :lol: :lol: :lol:

liudr

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:11 pm

Arduino can be executed without being installed. You unzip it on a flash drive or better a USB hard drive. Then go into the folder and run arduino.exe
The program is based on Java. Same for Processing.

liudr

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:15 pm

Arduino for RPI is stuck at version 1.0.5 so you can't use any ARM or SAM processor Arduino boards such as DUE, ZERO, etc. Also libraries are outdated about 2 to 3 years. It's not a good choice by any measure I can think off except for one. And that is not speed.

My test yesterday again is about 25 seconds to compile blink on rpi 2b and 5-6 on a 2-yr computer 4200U or 4300U with SSD or regular HDD. I'll test on my atom computer again but expect it to be around 10 seconds. Unless you're good at waiting, the extra time is just a waste. The GUI when in its default size window is not bad. Once you have longer code to need to scroll and max window, you'll feel its slowness besides compiling.

hansotten

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:35 pm

Have a look at https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/pull/4517, looks like the Arm like Rpi is getting official support.

This is a current build of the latest IDE for ARM, runs on RPi2 and RPi3 as reported, http://downloads.arduino.cc/javaide/pul ... arm.tar.xz
Last edited by hansotten on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with the 6502 cpu

Ferdinand

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:17 pm

Perhaps this link contains information:

http://rasp.io/duino/
Success with your project!
Ferdinand

scruss

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:22 pm

The great thing about the Great Arduino Schism is that there are two separate versions of the dev environment. The arduino.org Arduino IDE seems to have forum support for Raspberry Pi. I'll have to give it a try.

I did run the IDE on the very first Raspberry Pis. Now that was slow.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

liudr

Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:08 am

You should probably also read some background information of the tale of two Arduinos.

In a digest format:
Arduino.org was smart projects and before that dog hunter AG. They were making boards for Arduino.cc before they decided to sell on their own. They registered Arduino in Italy and a company Arduino SRL around 2014 and later started arduino.org. These are all facts. Don't argue with them. One more fact: as of later part of last year, the Arduinos I bought from mouser.com, a major electronics distributor, were from Arduino.org and they were still using Arduino.cc's USB vendor and product ids, that was a whole year after I became aware of the tale of two Arduinos. I wasn't aware of it and was investigating why a dozen of arduinos and wireless shields just crapped out on me and found the tale. Vendor ID costs upward of $5000 and annual fees if you want USB logo on your products. I've not got any of their boards since then. Their boards have been using extremely low-quality regulators that either oscillates or shut down with moderate use, such as powered by 12V supply for 10 minutes in room temperature. A number of my loggers started random shutdowns before I found out the regulator was the culprit. The boards before the dispute were using decent 1117 regulators and I never had any issue powering any of the several dozens I got. Neither do I have problems with the new arduinos made in USA by arduino.cc

scruss

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:32 pm

liudr wrote:… These are all facts. Don't argue with them.
Wouldn't dream of it But it's also worth bearing in mind Hernando Barragán's “The Untold History of Arduino” for a better view of the proponents.

Arduinos have always been a bit ropey on 12V, often running hotter and having limited overall current compared to lower supply voltages. It's one of the reasons that FTDI came out with the NerO, an Uno-compatible board with a really nice regulator.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

asandford

Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:16 pm

liudr wrote:You should probably also read some background information of the tale of two Arduinos.
None of the Arduino organisations smell of roses, the original team stole forked Hernando Barragán's Master's thesis and cliam that they created it - and then froze the inventor out. They are only now acknowledging him some 10 years later.

liudr

Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:53 pm

I wasn't saying arduino was entirely invented from ground up. It was built from wiring board and ide. But they wanted cheaper boarde and they did it. For those that know about GNU/Linux vs. Linux should be familiar with dilemas. What was borrowed from wiring was a major part of software before 1.0 but only very small portion compared to what arduino developed themselves. Same can be said with hardware. 95% arduino boards were nothing like original wiring board.

asandford

Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:09 am

liudr wrote:I wasn't saying arduino was entirely invented from ground up. It was built from wiring board and ide. But they wanted cheaper boarde and they did it. For those that know about GNU/Linux vs. Linux should be familiar with dilemas. What was borrowed from wiring was a major part of software before 1.0 but only very small portion compared to what arduino developed themselves. Same can be said with hardware. 95% arduino boards were nothing like original wiring board.
The principal software developed by Hernando is still mostly used without modification; the device it's used on is irrelevant. The Arduino team claimed they built the whole environment "in a few days" which is clearly a fallacy. Whatever they have developed since is built on (mostly unrecognised) work done by others - they should all be ashamed of themselves .

liudr

Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:27 am

I wanted to write something long but will keep it "short" instead.

What Hernando said was mostly consistent with what I know about Arduino. Arduino LLC people didn't tell all sides of the story but Arduino also branched away from wiring since 2005.
So Hernando is a teacher and so am I. One thing a teacher should do is to permit mistakes. Although I've not used his wiring board, which are all SMD components and still without a fuse (http://wiring.org.co/hardware/previous.html), I've had student destroy part of arduino' MCU by wiring wrong wires. Replacing the MCU on an arduino UNO is a $4 job. That same feature (DIP MCU) has been kept for a decade for a reason. Noobs! Also there is very little passage way to go from a wiring board project to a product. For arduino it is very easy if you start with a DIP version such as UNO. You learn PCB as you make them. That's why we see all the based-on-arduino designs sold. Branding is not everything but branding has tangible and intangible benefits. Take Processing for example, I got frustrated with it years ago since searching for it mostly turn up irrelevant industrial processing results. Arduino on the other hand is a sure hit, no mistakes. That, is worth a million of whatever currency you use. Arduino has kept their end of the open source bargain. They put resources into developing more software and more boards and have kept it all GPL/LGPL. That is a laudable thing.

hansotten

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:14 am

There is now official nightly Arduino for Arm download at:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Still experimental! ARDUINO 1.6.9 at april 12 2016.
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with the 6502 cpu

Return to “Beginners”