Crtek

Pi Zero USB hub

Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:16 pm

I've bought a pi zero and got it working, the only problem is I can't seem to find a usb hub that would work with it. Obviously I need at least 3 ports (mouse, keyboard and wifi).
I've tried a powered one that has a micro usb connection (for tablets and smartphones) and can be powered externally. I can power the pi through it and a mouse lights up if plugged into the hub. However, the mouse doesn't respond. The hub works on my tablet and smartphone.

I've also tried a cheap regular non-powered hub that worked with my pc, but did not work with the pi. I even tried adding extarnal power to it (online tutorial)...however I would not be writing this if it worked.

I have no idea what the problem is. Maybe it's a missing driver? Maybe my the hubs just aren't compatible. If anyone knows what to do PLEASE help me, I'm at the verge of crying.

P.S. Obviously I don't want to spend more money on the hub than the actual pi, so if anyone knows of a cheap hub that works, that would be amazing.

rpdom

Re: Pi Zero USB hub

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:20 am

I just used a standard USB hub along with a USB OTG adaptor cable (about £1 on ebay from UK). Worked perfectly.

A hub that works with your smartphone should work with the Pi Zero too. They don't need any special drivers.

startrek.steve

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:15 am

Stupid question, but are you plugged into the right connection? one port on the Zero will take power but not data. you need the power socket on the zero connected to one of the usb ports on the hub, and the usb socket on the Zero connected to another usb port on the hub. This will power the Zero and provide USB connectivity.

Steve
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

Crtek

Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:56 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-Host- ... uBPac7Dhpw

This is a link to the hub that i'm using. I actually bought mine of of aliexpress, but I don't think there's a difference. Of course I plugged the hub into the port marked USB. A friend of mine said that if it works on my tablet, it should also work on the pi...but...it doesn't :(
Is there a way I could perhaps upgrade the driver? Or test if there's something wrong with the pi itself?

startrek.steve

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:32 pm

Could this be the reason its not working?

1 x OTG USB HUB Adapter

Note: The USB power can't charger for your tablet or cellphone, only supply power for OTG ports.

I didnt see a psu in the picture, is it a Powered Hub? doesnt look like one?

Steve
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

startrek.steve

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:33 pm

Crtek

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:36 pm

It is a powered hub. I have the 4 port one. 3standard usb ports and one that has a lightning bold on it, indicating that there is where the micro usb charger gets plugged in. It also has a OTG/charge switch on its side. Ive tried both options but neither seem to make a difference

startrek.steve

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:39 pm

It looks like it uses the psu from your phone, right?
If so Im guessing its not enough for all your Zeroes peripherals.
you need to get a proper powered hub with a 2A psu minimum, you need that just to power the Zero, never mind the extra stuff. Are you booting to the desktop? Are you seeing a rainbow square in the top right corner of your screen?
That means your psu is too low powered.
That thing you got looks like its only for phones.

Steve

Crtek

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:39 pm

Might it be a power issue? Im powering the whole thing with my phone charger, which says it has a 1A output...but im not sure if that is the actual case. (Bought on ebay)

java

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:46 pm

My Pi Zero will not work with my USB 3 powered hub, whether it is powered or not. It does however work with a USB2 unpowered hub. The USB 3 hub works fine with my Pi B and my Pi 2 B. I am at a loss as to why this is.

Crtek

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:47 pm

There is no rainbow. its booting normally. a guy on youtube recomended the hub, so i bought the same one. It works for him like a charm...but im not sure what kind of psu he is using. Perhaps a stronger one. Although...my charher is 1A, and the usb mouse says it needs 100mA. And it lights up when plugged in, just doesnt move

Crtek

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:49 pm

Also note that im using a pi zero, which has a lower power consumption

Crtek

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:15 pm

I've tried a "bigger" power supply. (I used my buck converter, set at 5V and up to 5A) and it still didn't work. Any idea what i'm doing wrong?

Crtek

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:17 pm

startrek.steve wrote:This is one of the ones I use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Plug-7-Ports ... Swl9BWK5cK
would this one work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-7-Port- ... Swa-dWnwZp

i'm concerned since it says "Perfect for connecting USB 1.1 peripherals such as USB mice,..."
Will the USB 1.1 be an issue?

java

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:52 am

My guess would be that any USB 2 compliant hub should work with your Pi Zero, unfortunately I do not have a variety of hubs to test or play with.

Crtek

Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:03 pm

Just got the new powered hub...it still doesnt work...im crying

reptooyep

Wed May 15, 2019 9:36 pm

Hi,
It's a very old thread but did you vave success with your hub ?
Regards

davidcoton

Wed May 15, 2019 9:44 pm

Crtek User statistics

Last active:
10 May 2016 13:03
You are unlikely to get an answer. If you have an issue, start a new thread and post the details.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

Return to “Beginners”