terrible

Raspberry Pi 3

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:36 pm

So I am a noob. I have managed to run Raspberry Pi 2 with Moode and an external HDD for streaming music through DLNA. I was more than delighted to hear the sound I get. Which prompted me to get Pi 3. I have a few problems with this. I get a rainbow screen. I don't know what you mean by kernel. So please do tell me what goes wrong here. The sd card has volumio and runs perfectly with Pi 2. However, on Pi 3, when connected to my TV screen through HDMI, I get a rainbow screen. Would be grateful if you could guide me through this.

Another question I have is, why can't I run the Pi on my Mac OS or Bootcamp (Windows 8.1) when connected through HDMI? Or does it need to be connected in some other way?

Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_1402.JPG
IMG_1402.JPG (55.57 KiB) Viewed 5809 times

Cognac

Re: Raspberry Pi 3

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:45 pm

Rainbow screen is the result of not enough power.

Buy a 2,5A power adaptor for your Pi3.

terrible

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:59 pm

Cognac wrote:Rainbow screen is the result of not enough power.

You mean the power supply adapter 5V 2A micro USB charger that I am using for Raspi 2 will not work?

klricks

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:04 pm

terrible wrote:So I am a noob. I have managed to run Raspberry Pi 2 with Moode and an external HDD for streaming music through DLNA. I was more than delighted to hear the sound I get. Which prompted me to get Pi 3. I have a few problems with this. I get a rainbow screen. I don't know what you mean by kernel. So please do tell me what goes wrong here. The sd card has volumio and runs perfectly with Pi 2. However, on Pi 3, when connected to my TV screen through HDMI, I get a rainbow screen. Would be grateful if you could guide me through this.
The large 'rainbow' means the boot file are not compatible. Put the card in the RPi 2 and do an update.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Note if you used NOOBS or are running an old Raspbian Wheezy then the update may not work. You will need to do a fresh Raspbian Jessie install.

The small rainbow square in the top right means that the voltage of the power supply is too low and/or the USB power cable is poor quality.

terrible wrote: Another question I have is, why can't I run the Pi on my Mac OS or Bootcamp (Windows 8.1) when connected through HDMI? Or does it need to be connected in some other way?

Thank you.
If you are trying to connect the HDMI to your laptop then that won't work. Most HDMI ports are output only.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

RaTTuS

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:06 pm

you need a new image for the RPi-3
if you boot to command-line on RPi2 then you can upgrade like :-
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y
if it is some other distribution then you may need to install the latest version from their site
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Burngate

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:47 pm

EDITED: eyesight ain't what it used to be!
Last edited by Burngate on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:57 pm

terrible wrote:

You mean the power supply adapter 5V 2A micro USB charger that I am using for Raspi 2 will not work?
Though you state 5V2A it may not be accurate, the RPi 3B by default draws more power, therefore if the power supply is not actually producing a good stable voltage it can cause the issue. Your screen shot is showing the small top right rainbow square low power indicator...
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:58 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
terrible wrote:

Though you state 5V2A it may not be accurate, the RPi 3B by default draws more power, therefore if the power supply is not actually producing a good stable voltage it can cause the issue. Your screen shot is showing the small top right rainbow square low power indicator...
Double check the lead if you still have power problems after the upgrade. I use a 2A device no problems.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

terrible

Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:29 pm

klricks wrote:The large 'rainbow' means the boot file are not compatible. Put the card in the RPi 2 and do an update.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Note if you used NOOBS or are running an old Raspbian Wheezy then the update may not work. You will need to do a fresh Raspbian Jessie install.

The small rainbow square in the top right means that the voltage of the power supply is too low and/or the USB power cable is poor quality.
I have so far only run Moode Player and Volumio. Both are the latest release, so doubt I'll need to upgrade those. Think it should be the power supply. Would a Power Supply AC ADAPTER 5V 2.5A do as suggested by a member here? Would it harm the Pi if I got a more powerful adapter?

terrible

Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:34 pm

Burngate wrote:
WRONG!

The picture shows full-screen rainbow, which is the result of the first part of booting.

The low-voltage indication is small, top-right, after booting.
Don't know what should be causing that since I am using the latest version of moode as well as Volumio.

terrible

Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:37 pm

jamesh wrote:Double check the lead if you still have power problems after the upgrade. I use a 2A device no problems.
What upgrade are you talking about?

klricks

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:33 pm

terrible wrote:
klricks wrote:The large 'rainbow' means the boot file are not compatible. Put the card in the RPi 2 and do an update.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I have so far only run Moode Player and Volumio. Both are the latest release, so doubt I'll need to upgrade those. Think it should be the power supply. Would a Power Supply AC ADAPTER 5V 2.5A do as suggested by a member here? Would it harm the Pi if I got a more powerful adapter?
You need to run the 2 commands above to update the boot code so the 3B can boot. This has nothing to do with the 2 apps you mentioned however they will be updated as well if there is a newer version(s).

If your 2A power supply is working try that first. Get the RPi booting as I am not sure the warning you see is valid without the correct boot code? You can use 2A 2.5A 5A or more it does not matter if the Amp rating is higher. Just can't be lower than you need.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

FattyXP

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:11 pm

The OP has BOTH indicators. I recently got an RPi3 and attempted to use the OpenELEC version included on NOOBs, this gave me the blank screen with the rainbow in the top right, so that error is not EXCLUSIVE to power supply issues (as the OpenELEC Rpi2 image on NOOBs is not compatible with the RPi3)

You cannot use an SD straight from an RPi2 in an RPi3 in most situations, you'll need to try an upgrade or fresh install. Remember to backup any data you may need first.

RaTTuS

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:56 am

FattyXP wrote:The OP has BOTH indicators. I recently got an RPi3 and attempted to use the OpenELEC version included on NOOBs, this gave me the blank screen with the rainbow in the top right, so that error is not EXCLUSIVE to power supply issues (as the OpenELEC Rpi2 image on NOOBs is not compatible with the RPi3)

You cannot use an SD straight from an RPi2 in an RPi3 in most situations, you'll need to try an upgrade or fresh install. Remember to backup any data you may need first.
yes but upgrading the firmware is a must first

Covfefe

ghans

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:02 am

It doesn't seem too far-fetched that the most recent
version for Volumio simply hasn't been updated to work on
the Pi3.

Wait till the Volumio authors catch up with Raspbian.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

terrible

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:10 pm

So, I have been trying to

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
I am doing this with a fresh install of Moode 2.5 and on Raspi 2. Post which I shoved the SD card into Raspi 3 but to no avail. I still get the same large rainbow screen with a smaller one adjacent. Ater update and upgrade, do I need to reboot the SD card in Raspi 2?

do I need to do these?:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo rpi-update
sudo reboot

RaTTuS

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:28 pm

I have no idea what a moode is ? is it http://moodeaudio.org/
if so then they need to make a newer version ?

or another question are you running wheezy or Jessie ?

can you not start off with a fresh install of raspbain Jessie and add the things to that - use a new sdcard

Covfefe

fruitoftheloom

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:30 pm

terrible wrote:sudo rpi-update
This should only be run if it has been advised by a developer that it is needed to fix an issue you are experiencing.....
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

terrible

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:36 pm

RaTTuS wrote:I have no idea what a moode is ? is it http://moodeaudio.org/
if so then they need to make a newer version ?

or another question are you running wheezy or Jessie ?

can you not start off with a fresh install of raspbain Jessie and add the things to that - use a new sdcard
I have made a fresh install of Moode audio. I could install Raspbian Jessie but I have no idea what it is and whether I can install moode on it and if so whats the process. I am completely new to this as I got into it 'coz someone suggested instead of buying an expensive music server I should go for this. Raspi 2 worked fine but then I bought Raspi 3 for its wireless feature and now I am struggling.
Last edited by terrible on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terrible

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:37 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
terrible wrote:sudo rpi-update
This should only be run if it has been advised by a developer that it is needed to fix an issue you are experiencing.....
If you go up in the thread I was advised to do this.

RaTTuS

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:40 pm

I would contact the moode people and wait for them to update the system - they seem to be fairly active on updates

Covfefe

terrible

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:05 pm

Now the small rainbow screen has disappeared but the big one stays.
Attachments
IMG_1404.JPG
IMG_1404.JPG (48.81 KiB) Viewed 4910 times

DirkS

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:18 pm

terrible wrote:Now the small rainbow screen has disappeared but the big one stays.
As mentioned above: the image has to be updated by the moode people to make it compatible with the Pi3B
I actually checked the image and the stuff on there is fairly recent, but pre-Pi3B.

RPF Repos are not used, so apt-get update / upgrade will not get the latest kernel firmware.
I assume rpi-update is not installed either.

terrible

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:25 pm

DirkS wrote:
terrible wrote:Now the small rainbow screen has disappeared but the big one stays.
As mentioned above: the image has to be updated by the moode people to make it compatible with the Pi3B
I actually checked the image and the stuff on there is fairly recent, but pre-Pi3B.

RPF Repos are not used, so apt-get update / upgrade will not get the latest kernel firmware.
I assume rpi-update is not installed either.
Yes you are right. I emailed Tim and he spoke about a certain kernel not being there yet. But he proposed this moode image created by someone else. It has some Hifiberry issues though http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based ... i-208.html

I'll try this.

terrible

Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:27 pm

Thank you for all your help. I have finally got the Pi 3 up with a modded version of Moode Player.

Return to “Beginners”