hilman
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:21 am

When should I 'rpi-update' the Raspbian?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:10 am

I always don't get this right. After I have downloaded and installed the latest Raspbian on my Pi 2, I will first 'apt-get update' it and then 'apt-get upgrade' it. And then, every time I 'rpi-update' it, there will always be some sort of problems. Is it means I should no 'rpi-update' the Raspbian? If so, when should I 'rpi-update' it?

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 5823
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: When should I 'rpi-update' the Raspbian?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:17 am

hilman wrote:when should I 'rpi-update' it?
It's best to only do it when told to by someone who is closely involved with the kernel & firmware development. When new features are being developed there is a risk that your PI won't boot afterwards :o
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 23062
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: When should I 'rpi-update' the Raspbian?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:29 am

hilman wrote:I always don't get this right. After I have downloaded and installed the latest Raspbian on my Pi 2, I will first 'apt-get update' it and then 'apt-get upgrade' it. And then, every time I 'rpi-update' it, there will always be some sort of problems. Is it means I should no 'rpi-update' the Raspbian? If so, when should I 'rpi-update' it?
Personally I only ever undertake

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
As PeterO stated rpi-update is only used for resolving a specific issue or you know the pitfalls of doing so ;)
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 38810
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: When should I 'rpi-update' the Raspbian?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:08 pm

PeterO wrote:
hilman wrote:when should I 'rpi-update' it?
It's best to only do it when told to by someone who is closely involved with the kernel & firmware development. When new features are being developed there is a risk that your PI won't boot afterwards :o
PeterO
+1

The latest BRANCH=next rpi-update stopped my RPF touchscreen working (admittedly that's even more leading edge than plain rpi-update).
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

hilman
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:21 am

Re: When should I 'rpi-update' the Raspbian?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:09 pm

PeterO wrote:
hilman wrote:when should I 'rpi-update' it?
It's best to only do it when told to by someone who is closely involved with the kernel & firmware development. When new features are being developed there is a risk that your PI won't boot afterwards :o
PeterO
So, I should just

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
?

hilman
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:21 am

Re: When should I 'rpi-update' the Raspbian?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:10 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
hilman wrote:I always don't get this right. After I have downloaded and installed the latest Raspbian on my Pi 2, I will first 'apt-get update' it and then 'apt-get upgrade' it. And then, every time I 'rpi-update' it, there will always be some sort of problems. Is it means I should no 'rpi-update' the Raspbian? If so, when should I 'rpi-update' it?
Personally I only ever undertake

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
As PeterO stated rpi-update is only used for resolving a specific issue or you know the pitfalls of doing so ;)
What is the difference between 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and 'apt-get upgrade'? Is it one better than the other?

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: When should I 'rpi-update' the Raspbian?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:12 pm

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 23062
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: When should I 'rpi-update' the Raspbian?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:22 pm

hilman wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
hilman wrote:I always don't get this right. After I have downloaded and installed the latest Raspbian on my Pi 2, I will first 'apt-get update' it and then 'apt-get upgrade' it. And then, every time I 'rpi-update' it, there will always be some sort of problems. Is it means I should no 'rpi-update' the Raspbian? If so, when should I 'rpi-update' it?
Personally I only ever undertake

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
As PeterO stated rpi-update is only used for resolving a specific issue or you know the pitfalls of doing so ;)
What is the difference between 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and 'apt-get upgrade'? Is it one better than the other?
http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

Nickcn
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:18 pm
Location: USA

Re: When should I 'rpi-update' the Raspbian?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:32 pm

deleted
Last edited by Nickcn on Mon May 16, 2016 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 23062
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: When should I 'rpi-update' the Raspbian?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:37 pm

Nickcn wrote:
What is the difference between 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and 'apt-get upgrade'? Is it one better than the other?

In a nutshell...
dist-upgrade is more likely to break stuff badly than upgrade. upgrade ensures that your system remains complete
dist-upgrade is more likely to fix issues with conflicting package versions, if you are comfortable with taking the road roller approach (i.e. you don't have a mission critical production software running on the box)
Poppycock and Balderdash, I have never had dist-upgrade issues, only if you install non-Repository packages could it be an issue but that applies to upgrade as well...
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

RichInTheUSA
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:27 am

Re: When should I 'rpi-update' the Raspbian?

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Whoops... what if I had issued the rpi-update command, and now want to go back to the stable kernel and firmware? Is there a way to reverse the impact of the rpi-update command? Newbie error, sorry.
PeterO wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:17 am
hilman wrote:when should I 'rpi-update' it?
It's best to only do it when told to by someone who is closely involved with the kernel & firmware development. When new features are being developed there is a risk that your PI won't boot afterwards :o
PeterO

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 38810
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: When should I 'rpi-update' the Raspbian?

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:57 pm

You can go back to any commit id with rpi-update. Or you can re-install the raspberrypi-kernel package.

sudo rpi-update 911147a3276beee09afc4237e1b7b964e61fb88a
would get you back to the latest stable kernel.

Re-installing raspberrypi-kernel
sudo apt install --reinstall raspberrypi-kernel
is the safer option.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

RichInTheUSA
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:27 am

Re: When should I 'rpi-update' the Raspbian?

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:08 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:57 pm
You can go back to any commit id with rpi-update. Or you can re-install the raspberrypi-kernel package.
Thanks man!!!

Return to “Beginners”