Taxicletter

Necessary Power Supply?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:51 am

On https://osmc.tv/wiki/ I read:
Unfortunately, some power supplies advertise that they can output a good amount of current but fail to do so. Most power supplies used are simply mobile phone chargers and are thus never really tested to see if they can perform to their advertised specification as they merely trickle charge phones.

For best results, you should ensure:

You do not power your Raspberry Pi from a USB port on a computer or TV. These can only output 500mA at the most.
You do not use a mobile phone charger
You use at least a 2A 5V power supply
My adaptor is 1A 5V... Is THAT what causes regularly freezes (even if I don't think I do something processor-demanding)?
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

stderr

Re: Necessary Power Supply?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:59 am

Taxicletter wrote:For best results, you should ensure:
You do not power your Raspberry Pi from a USB port on a computer or TV. These can only output 500mA at the most.
You do not use a mobile phone charger
You use at least a 2A 5V power supply
My adaptor is 1A 5V... Is THAT what causes regularly freezes (even if I don't think I do something processor-demanding)?[/quote]
I think that the pi3 needs 2.5 amps. Often on any pi people could have success and then trouble after adding a wifi dongle. The pi3 has that dongle built in.

So if you are going into the game with a one amp supply, it's going to be seeing a load that it wasn't advertised to support. Now we all know how cheap everyone is nowadays and how things are likely to not be overbuilt to the point that they'll handle two or three times their stated capabilities. So I'd look into getting something that at least claims it can handle it. Even then, there are truly dodgy power supplies out of China (or wherever) that should be steered clear of.

Taxicletter

Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:01 am

Yeah, stupid question. It wasn't a question really, I was "online realizing" what was going wrong :-)

You where part of my stream of consciousness :-)

It's because everything generally worked, I wasn't sure. I did my homework first and found:
The device is powered by a 5V micro USB supply. Exactly how much current (mA) the Raspberry Pi requires is dependent on what you connect to it. We have found that purchasing a 1.2A (1200mA) power supply from a reputable retailer will provide you with ample power to run your Raspberry Pi.
on https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

The documentation should specify different Amperes for the different Rasberries, I guess?
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:18 am

Taxicletter wrote:Yeah, stupid question. It wasn't a question really, I was "online realizing" what was going wrong :-)

You where part of my stream of consciousness :-)

It's because everything generally worked, I wasn't sure. I did my homework first and found:
The device is powered by a 5V micro USB supply. Exactly how much current (mA) the Raspberry Pi requires is dependent on what you connect to it. We have found that purchasing a 1.2A (1200mA) power supply from a reputable retailer will provide you with ample power to run your Raspberry Pi.
on https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

The documentation should specify different Amperes for the different Rasberries, I guess?

Up until the RPi 3 this is the Official PSU 5V2A, which is listed on the shop section of the official web site:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/un ... wer-supply
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

boyoh

Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:21 am

A good stable well filtered power supply is a must for the Pi to process signals, no cheap short cuts
Power wise, in excess of the Pi total out/put. If you want to power external projects , I suggest a separate
Power supply. Then use the Pi as the controlling signal source through buffer stages, for current and voltage
Amplification
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

Taxicletter

Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:00 pm

What about a maximum? I found a solar-powerbank quite cheap, but it is 5V 3A. Will that damage the Pi?

GTR2Fan

Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:50 pm

Taxicletter wrote:What about a maximum? I found a solar-powerbank quite cheap, but it is 5V 3A. Will that damage the Pi?
Current doesn't work like that. A 500 billion GigaAmp PSU would be fine as long as it was still 5V. Anything attached to any power supply will only take the current it needs.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

Taxicletter

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:09 pm

Great! I'll go buy my solarpowered-powerbank! Thanks.

Nickcn

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:10 pm

deleted

Return to “Beginners”