Taxicletter

xfce?

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:05 am

Hi,

I read somewhere that xfce is meant to be light and fast. Is it?
I have the standard Raspbian installation for Raspberry Pi (3). Is it like switching a skin, if I want to try xfce?
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

buja

Re: xfce?

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:16 am

Raspbian comes with LXDE, which is also meant to be light and fast, maybe even lighter than Xfce.
I am not sure how you could switch to Xfce, but I know it's a bit more work than switching a skin.

Taxicletter

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:27 am

Ah! I thought it was KDE.

So I'm happy having a fast version already :-)
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

Fidelius

Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:10 am

Taxicletter wrote:I read somewhere that xfce is meant to be light and fast. Is it?
Yes, it is and it runs very fine on the Pi3 and the Pi2, and for XFCE fans like me it also runs on Pi1. :-)

Since Raspbian is Debian based, you can "apt-get install" all Debian included desktops like XFCE, KDE, and so on. The graphical front-end of "apt-get" named "synaptic" makes such tasks even easier. So if you installed "xfce4*", on your next login-screen you can choose between LXDE and XFCE as desktop session environment.

Taxicletter

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:01 pm

And is there a good reason to try or install LXDE?
I mean: I just want a good working system. I want to learn all things necessary to maintain everything, I don't want to endlessly configure and test software.
I want to spent my time selecting and listening good music and learning Processing :-)

kusti8

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Taxicletter wrote:And is there a good reason to try or install LXDE?
I mean: I just want a good working system. I want to learn all things necessary to maintain everything, I don't want to endlessly configure and test software.
I want to spent my time selecting and listening good music and learning Processing :-)
No reason to switch. If LXDE works fine, then keep it.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

stderr

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:12 pm

Taxicletter wrote:And is there a good reason to try or install LXDE?
It can make sense to start out with Jessie Lite and then add in what you want. For example, I'm sure there's a clever way to add in enough to display a web browser via ssh -X into the pi without adding everything needed to perfectly run a desktop on the pi.

Taxicletter

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:27 pm

Thanks kusti8 and stderr.

Taxicletter

Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:42 pm

In search for a way to improve performance, I did change to XFCE. I used this guide and it worked:

Follow the step-by-step guide provided by yours truly :-)
First install XFCE4 (consider also installing the xfce4-goodies package for extra visual candy)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xfce4
Then list all installed LXDE-related apps

sudo dpkg --get-selections | grep "^lx"
...and remove them

sudo apt-get remove lxappearance lxde lxde-* lxinput lxmenu-data lxpanel lxpolkit lxrandr lxsession* lxsession lxshortcut lxtask lxterminal
Note that alongside lxterminal also pistore will be purged! So if you want the Pi Store, don't remove the lxterminal package
During removal the update-alternatives script will be executed and set xfce4 as the default x-session-manager in /usr/bin/x-session-manager.

Reboot the RPi, for the changes to take effect.

Last but not least you should run the autoremove and autoclean command to clean any unnecessary packages

sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean
And you're all set! Enjoy the much more user-friendly XFCE.
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... -from-lxde

Return to “Beginners”