Taxicletter

Launch Bar

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:53 am

Hi again,

Accidently, I removed the programs from my Launch Bar. How can I add programs? Right clicking gives me some settings, but I didn't find a way to add programs.

Which would be a good manual to search such things myself?

Regards,

Jonathan
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

GTR2Fan

Re: Launch Bar

Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:05 am

Menu - Preferences - Main Menu Editor?
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

JimmyN

Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:23 pm

You have to right click in the Launch bar area. You'll know you have the right spot if the popup menu has "Application Launch Bar Settings" at the top, rather than "Task Bar Settings".

Once you click on the "Launch Bar Settings" you can scroll the menu list in the right pane, select something, then click the "Add" button to add it to the Launch Bar. You can't add things to the Launch Bar unless they are already in the menu.

But since you said you lost "the programs", that could mean that you actually removed the Launch Bar. If that's the case then right click anywhere in the Task Bar and select "Add/Remove Panel Items". When the "Panel Preferences" box opens look in the list and see if "Application Launch Bar" is there. It should be between "Menu" and "Task Bar". If it's not there click the "Add" button and scroll down the popup list to "Application Launch Bar" and add it. It will probably add it to the bottom of the list so it will appear at the right end of the taskbar, highlight it and then use the "Up" button to move it up the list so it's underneath the "Menu (button)" The list is the order they will appear in the taskbar, top of the list is the left end and starts with the Menu button.

Taxicletter

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:53 pm

Thanks JimmyN! I found the Application Launch Bar, but because it first appears as a "+" sign, I didn't know that was the one I'm looking for. :lol:
Strange detail: I installed Iceweasel and it's in my menu, but not in the list where you can add it in the application launch bar.
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

GTR2Fan

Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:01 pm

Taxicletter wrote:Strange detail: I installed Iceweasel and it's in my menu, but not in the list where you can add it in the application launch bar.
I've had that happen too sometimes and it's only resolved itself after several reboots. One reboot I could understand, but several? :P
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

JimmyN

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:15 am

I'm going to assume that Iceweasel shows up in the menu, but not in the menu list for adding to the Launchbar.

As @GTR2Fan pointed out it will probably include it eventually. But if you want to fix it now we can get the hammer and apply a little pressure to get it going. And you'll find out where the settings are located, which should be edited with the GUI, but we're going to edit it anyway since this is a learning experience. While we're there I'll show you where the problem seems to be.

Here's the location. Make a copy of it first if you think you might mess up the edit.

Code: Select all

cp ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel.orig

nano ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel
Scroll down to this section

Code: Select all

Plugin {
  type=launchbar
  Config {
    Button {
      id=/usr/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop
    }
    Button {
      id=/usr/share/raspi-ui-overrides/applications/pcmanfm.desktop
    }
    Button {
      id=/usr/share/raspi-ui-overrides/applications/lxterminal.desktop
    }
  }
}
Yours will look a bit different, you'll have Epiphany as the first button, and of course no "iceweasel.desktop"
You can copy everything and paste it in if you want the same setup, or add an Iceweasel button to the existing. Or another option would be to edit the Epiphany "Button" settings so they point to Iceweasel instead. They display in the same order as listed in the file going left to right. So for me Iceweasel is next to the Menu button.

Looking at that file you'll see that all of the items are in the newer "raspi-ui-overides" menu location. But when you install something like Iceweasel it puts it's .desktop file in the original location "/usr/share/applications". If the install puts it there it sometimes take a while for the Launchbar menu list to find it. If the install puts the .desktop file in the "raspi-ui-overides" then it shows up in the Launchbar items right away.

Edit: added another option

Taxicletter

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks @JimmyN!
I found your answer a little late, because I forgot to subscribe to my own question. And there is no "see own messages" option in this forum, or I didn't find it yet :-).

I'm going to check it out soon, I now have the same kind of trouble with the main menu. I edited that, I deleted every "other" submenu, but somehow the program menu-items appear there.
Curious if I can solve this, I'll let you know!

hello world :-)

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:28 am

Taxicletter wrote:Thanks @JimmyN!
I found your answer a little late, because I forgot to subscribe to my own question. And there is no "see own messages" option in this forum, or I didn't find it yet :-).

I'm going to check it out soon, I now have the same kind of trouble with the main menu. I edited that, I deleted every "other" submenu, but somehow the program menu-items appear there.
Curious if I can solve this, I'll let you know!
You can automatically subscribe to topics you have posted in in the UCP. To see your own posts, either advanced search it, or switch to the Prosilver theme (UCP) which adds a handy link to your posts on every page. Hope this helps somebody :-)
I do moral support. Here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=egosearch
I know I use too many parentheses. Problem?
Topics I have posted in: http://bit.ly/1NbDdr5
My topics: http://bit.ly/1ObnKqQ
All my posts: http://bit.ly/1OHzje7

Return to “Beginners”