AforAlex

A very frustrated user trying to set up WiFi. PLEASE HELP!

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Hi, I'm having a very frustrating experience here and hoping that someone can help.

I have a Belkin F5D7050 Wireless G Adapter v4000 [Zydas ZD1211B]. I have installed the firmware, and its getting reported correctly in "lsusb" and "dmesg" is looking positive, no errors and seems to be getting noticed ok. The problem I'm fairly sure is to do with the final steps setting up the configuration.

My hub is a BT infinity home hub, currently i'm connected on this laptop using WPA. I'm pretty sure that I'm not getting the SSID and password set correctly, and getting very frustrated with having to edit all these files without knowing why, or even if I am putting in the right settings (which i suspect i am not). Its probably as frustrating as wrong capitalisation, or an incorrect space etc ... I have checked and double checked, and triple and quadruple check (well you get the picture) and I still can't spot what's wrong.

Is there a way that I can scan the wireless networks to see what's available and pick off the correct SSID?

I know this goes against the grain but a simple wifi set-up tool would be absolutely amazing. Even if all it does was to give me a few of the details that the tutorials and how to's can't. Like what's my SSID??

Many many thanks to anyone who can help

shawnanastasio

Re: A very frustrated user trying to set up WiFi. PLEASE HEL

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:23 pm

Assuming you set your adapter up correctly, try using the Wicd-Gtk tool to set up your network through a gui. Simply type the command "sudo apt-get install wicd-gtk" And after a reboot, when typing startx to get into the gui, you should see a little wicd network icon in the bottom right hand corner of the display. Click it and you can setup your wifi network through the gui.

JeremyF

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:54 pm

shawnanastasio wrote:Assuming you set your adapter up correctly, try using the Wicd-Gtk tool to set up your network through a gui. Simply type the command "sudo apt-get install wicd-gtk" And after a reboot, when typing startx to get into the gui, you should see a little wicd network icon in the bottom right hand corner of the display. Click it and you can setup your wifi network through the gui.
You can also try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install network-config
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

AforAlex

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:10 pm

Brilliant, that has certainly helped. Thank you very much, has helped my sanity somewhat. I am able to see all the available networks, I am able to pick mine and enter the pass key, however when i try and connect the wireless fails to connect on the authentication part, and eventually comes back with "Connection failed: Bad password"

I've checked on router and the Password is absolutely correct, I tried connecting another device using the key just to check my sanity and they connected, but the Pi doesn't.

I've checked the router and its set to WPA-WPA2. In the connection tool it gives me a number of authentication methods, The default one is WPA 1/2 (Hex[0-9/A-F]), i've also tried one that ends (Passphrase) and also tried the same except they are just WPA.

I've also been able to use the details given by Wicd and have entered these into he wpa.conf file I created and setup following a tutorial. The details I entered were correct. When the Pi boots up I can see the DHCP on the WiFi (wlan0) spending quite a bit of time with DHCPDISCOVER but it eventually times out.

By the fact that the WiFi card brought up the list of the available networks that seems to suggest to me that its working ok, do you know why it wouldn't be authenticating? Is there something else I can look at?

Thanks again

redhawk

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:13 pm

You need wpa_supplicant that's how I got my wifi dongle to connect to my router with wpa encryption.
There's plenty of information online on how to create a configuration file like - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=263136
If you connect but get no ip address try dhclient wlan0 (as root).

Richard S.

AforAlex

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:27 pm

Thanks Richard.

Sorry for sounding thick. I've got wpasupplicant installed and its a the newest version (or so it tells me when i try and install using the command "sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant"

I found and followed the following tutorials to the letter, they are fine and good tutorials and certainly found them useful, except I can't get them to work :-)
- http://www.penguintutor.com/blog/viewblog.php?blog=6281
- http://omer.me/2012/04/setting-up-wirel ... pberry-pi/
- http://www.raspberrypi-tutorials.co.uk/ ... s-network/

Thanks for the link to the tutorial on configuration files, i shall take a look and see if I can get it to play.

Thanks again

JTrevorJ

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:33 pm

It may be a good idea to check the voltage on the system. You could also check the rated current output of your adapter. If you have too many, or some very power-hungry, devices plugged into the USB ports or hub then you can have problems. I had a very similar experience with my desktop machine running Ubuntu. I cured all my glitches by using an externally-powered USB hub.
Just thought.

AforAlex

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:35 pm

could it be that I now have multiple setup's interfering with each other ? I don't think this is the case as the wpa config file is only in the interfaces file the once to set up the wlan0 from what i can see

redhawk

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:40 pm

I haven't used my wireless dongle in ages however it was a total pain to setup I still get errors but at least it works for me.

First thing I did was edit /etc/network/interfaces which looks something like:
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

Then I created a configuration file /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

network={
ssid="Pandora"
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="openhermagicbox"
}

psk can be ascii or hex for ascii you must enclose the passcode in double quotes.
For some reason my router was rejecting the hex passcode maybe I did this in error which is why I used ascii mode (something I'll have to investigate another time).

Then I created a simple script to turn off the ethernet interface and enable the wireless interface:

ifconfig eth0 down
wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Sometimes you may need dhclient wlan0 but I only ran it once it seems to remember after each reboot.

If you experience connection problems or lost of throughput and are using the PI's USB port then you may need to use a powered USB hub.

Richard S.

AforAlex

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:58 pm

Peeps, you have been brilliant and I've finally gotten it to work :-)

The issue was down to the the power. Must have been. I have a powered USB hub which i chose to stop using. There seems to be an issue with the maximum number of devices attached to the RPi, which doesn't seem to be very much, I had Powered USB, a Wireless Keyboard and Mouse dongle and webcam all attached, and it didn't like it very much at all, so I stopped using the USB hub and just plugged things straight in. I figured (wrongly) that as the device was getting picked up, and I was able to scan for available networks that there wasn't an issue with power.

Having plugged the hub back in with nothing else but the wireless installed then its finally working :-)

Thanks guys for all the help, really appreciated. I'm going to go to bed now, thx

Return to “Beginners”