HankB

tailoring Raspbian to a particular board?

Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi folks,
I'm new to the RPi and having a blast. :D These are amazing little devices. At present I have two Pi2Bs a Pi0 and a Pi3B ordered along with a stack of microSD cards.

I generally believe that I can mix and match the cards between the different boards but eventually as I dedicate boards for a specific usage I will also dedicate cards where the S/W is tailored for the particular function.

That leaves me wondering if there is are specific items I can configure to optimize Raspbian for a particular board.

Are there any Raspbian packages I should install for example to 'improve' Raspbian on a Pi2B or Pi3B?

Thanks!

DougieLawson

Re: tailoring Raspbian to a particular board?

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:51 pm

There's no difference between an SDCard for a B, a B+, an A+, a 2B, a zero or a 3B they are all 100% interchangable (assuming microSDs are used in full size holders for the ancient machines).

The only requirement is that the card was built with kernel, modules and firmware released on (or after) the date when the hardware became available.

If you build all of your cards with NOOBS 1.8 or plain Jessie 2016-02-26 then they will all work on all (current) Raspberries.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Beginners”