vGo

pi 3 keeps turning off

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Hi,

So i have this strange issue on a almost vanilla pi 3 ( using raspbian). apart from removing the pi user and making my own user and giving it a static wifi address, not really done much else.

So i've read the pi can't necessarily "turn off" by itself, but what im seeing is effectively a black screen after ~10 mins or so standby, when i plug the hdmi in. As soon as i plug in a keyboard i can see the tty login promt, only after which i can ssh and ping to pi. After a while however ,the problem cycles.

the router states that the pi is connected but it remains un-ping-able, so i assume its just the router not updating the list of connected devices.

duration between these states varies and im not sure if it errors where i can find these logs.

Sorry for not providing much in terms of information but i kind of feel like im not understanding something here.
Last edited by vGo on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

vGo

Re: pi 3 keeps turning off

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:45 pm

update:

so bit of trial and error, it happens regardless of if im logged in or not. I tried to leave it logged in see if that made a difference, but the same thing happened again, when i plugged in HDMI no response, as soon as i plug in keyboard and tap buttons, i have my user already logged in.

It's like its going into a weird power saving mode.

vGo

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:29 pm

update:

so i was watching to see if display turns off if i dont have a keyboard plugged in. it does.

i guess the next step is to check if the pie stops working if i just dont press any keys and time it

vGo

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:05 pm

update:

so even with a keyboard/mouse plugged in it still happens.
is this a feature or a bug?

vGo

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:17 am

so i followed this after looking hard for a solution, testing if it works.

viewtopic.php?p=433728#p433728

vGo

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:55 am

update:

so still does this, after change. But the plot thickens

I can ssh/ping via public IP but not via local

im so confused

capnm

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:05 am

Not sure what's your problem, but if you want to achieve that the linux console doesn't go off
prepend consoleblank=0 to the single line in /boot/cmdline.txt and reboot the RPi.

In other words, the line
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait
becomes
consoleblank=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait

(Beware: many hints in the thread you linked are outdated for the current debian jessie release)
Martin Capitanio http://capitanio.org

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:32 pm

capnm wrote:Not sure what's your problem, but if you want to achieve that the linux console doesn't go off
prepend consoleblank=0 to the single line in /boot/cmdline.txt and reboot the RPi.

In other words, the line
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait
becomes
consoleblank=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait

(Beware: many hints in the thread you linked are outdated for the current debian jessie release)
Yes its the screensaver kicking in after (I think) default 15 minutes. Just hitting a keyboard key should be enough to bring it alive. The timeout can be changed or disabled as instructed above....

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

vGo

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:56 pm

This seems to be the cause.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=53177

however this is also true in my case, the pi's consistently getting <incomplete> arps on macs, its fine on linux. The solution is to ping back from the pi, but why is the necessary?

https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... _computer/

Return to “Beginners”