thirushen

Raspberry PI 3 first boot issue

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:35 am

Hi All
I apologise in advance if this question has been addressed. I recently purchased my first Raspberry PI 3 :) . On the initial boot, (tried both Noobs and Bootberry) the process stalls at the “zeroing partition” phase.

Please advise on how this can be sorted out, what is causing this? I used the recommend software to format the SD card and it is a class 10.

Please also advise on the process to add more than 1 OS on the SD card offline. The Noobs that I downloaded only had 1 OS option to select to install, however from all the videos that I watched there are numerous selections. Note that I only have a wifi connection.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

alphanumeric

Re: Raspberry PI 3 first boot issue

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:42 pm

NOOBS with no internet connection available can only install Raspbian. With an Internet connection you will get options to download an install other operating systems. I would double check that you have the latest version of NOOBS, or maybe even try the latest Raspbian. It sounds like you SD card may be corrupt or defective, do you have another card to try? Personally, I use the win32 diskimager to image my cards with Raspbian. I've never had an issue doing it that way.

thirushen

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:58 am

Thanks for the reply, it was the SD card. I managed to load 4 operating systems, however in all the wi-fi is not working. Its not picking up any wifi signal at all.

RDS

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:03 am

I thought it had to be a 'wired' Internet connection, to get more than one OS.

alphanumeric

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:46 am

As far as I know, with NOOBS, you need a internet connection to install a second and third OS. I don't know if it needs to be wired or not though. I have never actually used NOOBS myself. I just never got around to trying it.

thirushen

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:51 am

I used berryboot, loaded all the OS's of a USB. Now i just need to sort out the on-board wi-fi.

alphanumeric

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:59 am

What type of case are you using? A metal case may block the signal. From what I'm reading, the WIFI support is built into Raspbian for the chipset used on the Pi 3 onboard WIFI. This edition of the MagPi has some good info and troubleshooting for the Pi 3 WIFI. Just download the PDF and have a look. https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/learn ... -magpi-43/ There are some commands to run etc.

DougieLawson

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:59 am

thirushen wrote:Thanks for the reply, it was the SD card. I managed to load 4 operating systems, however in all the wi-fi is not working. Its not picking up any wifi signal at all.
The Pi3 WiFi needs the kernel, modules and firmware from Raspbian 2016-02-26-jessie or it simply won't work.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

FallChallenge

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:05 am

DougieLawson wrote:
thirushen wrote:Thanks for the reply, it was the SD card. I managed to load 4 operating systems, however in all the wi-fi is not working. Its not picking up any wifi signal at all.
The Pi3 WiFi needs the kernel, modules and firmware from Raspbian 2016-02-26-jessie or it simply won't work.
I did the upgrade from by RPi2.

And in attachement you can see my raspbian version. But the RPi3 still doesn't boot! :x
Attachments
rpi-raspbian.PNG
rpi-raspbian.PNG (14.85 KiB) Viewed 3870 times

DougieLawson

Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Your kernel is TOO OLD. It's three months before the RPi3B was launched. So whatever you've updated has NOT WORKED.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Return to “Beginners”