pontypool
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:18 pm

file permissions

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:51 pm

can't move some files, it says error, i don't have permission. under ownership, pi owns them and its greyed out, i cant change it. the other access options are set to everyone.???

asandford
Posts: 1998
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm
Location: Waterlooville

Re: file permissions

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:57 pm

pontypool wrote:can't move some files, it says error, i don't have permission. under ownership, pi owns them and its greyed out, i cant change it. the other access options are set to everyone.???
Post the permissions:

Code: Select all

pi@netpi:~ $ ls -l </path/to/file>

pontypool
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: file permissions

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:00 pm

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pi@netpi:~ $ ls -l </home/pi/Downloads>
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

asandford
Posts: 1998
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm
Location: Waterlooville

Re: file permissions

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:23 pm

pontypool wrote:pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pi@netpi:~ $ ls -l </home/pi/Downloads>
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Code: Select all

pi@netpi:~ $ ls -ld Downloads
drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Feb 14 15:28 Downloads
pi@netpi:~ $

pontypool
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: file permissions

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:12 am

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pi@netpi:~ $ ls -ld Downloads
bash: pi@netpi:~: command not found
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Feb 14 15:28 Downloads
bash: drwxr-xr-x: command not found
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pi@netpi:~ $


is there some kind of take ownership tool, like on windows 7, it was a take ownership, remove ownership reg file.

asandford
Posts: 1998
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm
Location: Waterlooville

Re: file permissions

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:18 am

pontypool wrote:pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pi@netpi:~ $ ls -ld Downloads
bash: pi@netpi:~: command not found
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Feb 14 15:28 Downloads
bash: drwxr-xr-x: command not found
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pi@netpi:~ $


is there some kind of take ownership tool, like on windows 7, it was a take ownership, remove ownership reg file.

Code: Select all

chown -R pi:pi Downloads

DirkS
Posts: 10495
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: file permissions

Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:29 pm

pontypool wrote:pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pi@netpi:~ $ ls -ld Downloads
bash: pi@netpi:~: command not found
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Feb 14 15:28 Downloads
bash: drwxr-xr-x: command not found
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pi@netpi:~ $.
You should just type in the command. The first bit is the prompt.

Code: Select all

ls -ld Downloads

pontypool
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: file permissions

Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:23 pm

none of this is working... i am trying to transfer configuration files from an openvpn.zip. i have extracted the contents of that zip into downloads and then tried moving them into etc/openvpn it says i dont have permission.
i tried extracting them directly into etc/openvpn same thing.. i tried moving the zip file into etc/openvpn same thing...

surely there's an easier way than this???

btw trying to change the file pemissions of etc/openvpn doesn't work, it says i'm not allowed. so why doesn't the tutorial i found mention this file permission shit? im using noobs with an update version of raspbian. i can't be the only one that's encountered this problem.

Edit: i just tried saving the zip file directly into etc/openvpn . i press save but it doesnt appear, no error but its not there, i assume it couldnt get saved because of permissions too.

pi@raspberrypi:/etc/openvpn $ chown -R pi:pi /etc/openvpn
chown: changing ownership of ‘/etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/etc/openvpn’: Operation not permitted
pi@raspberrypi:/etc/openvpn $

pontypool
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: file permissions

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:19 pm

figured this out. problem solved.
but if there's an app or utility to make this easier than all this typing crap. please let me know : P

asandford
Posts: 1998
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm
Location: Waterlooville

Re: file permissions

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:03 pm

pontypool wrote:figured this out. problem solved.
but if there's an app or utility to make this easier than all this typing crap. please let me know : P
I prefer the command line to using GUIs, it's more powerful and flexible, and sometimes you have no other option; so it's best to learn it when you don't need it for when you do.

Return to “Beginners”