TheGuyUk
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:08 pm

Raspbian 1.5.0 to 1.6.0

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:00 pm

:)

Hello I am new to Pi computers and Raspbian I download version 1.5.0 and installed it on my RPi Z today I noticed Noobs is a newer version 1.6.0 .

So what is different, do I need to download and reinstall Noobs or is there a easier way to upgrade?

I have read about and run Sudo rpi-update but then I saw reference to Sudo get-app update and Sudo get-app upgrade ( last two I have not run ).

Whats new in version Raspbian 1.6.0?

Any advice or help appreciated.

Cheers

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 6291
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Raspbian 1.5.0 to 1.6.0

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:08 pm

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... _notes.txt
Proper blog post coming tomorrow.

Windows 10 IoT has been added to NOOBS.

On the raspbian side, you can just run 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' to be fairly up to date.

There's an experimental gl driver option, but I don't recommend using that until the blog post is up.

User avatar
liudr
Posts: 687
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:11 am
Location: Central MN, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Raspbian 1.5.0 to 1.6.0

Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:26 pm

Nice updates to the distro. Will jessie ever include python 3.5 and pyserial? I had to learn how to build and install.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

DirkS
Posts: 10584
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Raspbian 1.5.0 to 1.6.0

Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:40 pm

liudr wrote:Nice updates to the distro. Will jessie ever include python 3.5
No, it follows Debian Jessie and they will not put in a new version (see e.g. https://release.debian.org/jessie/freeze_policy.html)

pyserial should be easily updated using 'pip'

beta-tester
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:57 pm
Location: de_DE

Re: Raspbian 1.5.0 to 1.6.0

Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:49 pm

strange, i am pretty sure i was looking to the NOOBS/Raspbian Downloads one or two days ago, and there wasn’t those downloads available, but the date tells it is from 2016-02-03... :?
thank you for pointing me to that new versions ;)
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (256MB), B (512MB), B+, ZeroW; 2B; 3B, 3B+; 4B (4GB)

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 6291
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Raspbian 1.5.0 to 1.6.0

Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:00 pm

beta-tester wrote:strange, i am pretty sure i was looking to the NOOBS/Raspbian Downloads one or two days ago, and there wasn’t those downloads available, but the date tells it is from 2016-02-03... :?
thank you for pointing me to that new versions ;)
The 'release date' is the date the image was created, rather than published, due to ahm.... reasons.

mattmiller
Posts: 2247
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:25 pm

Re: Raspbian 1.5.0 to 1.6.0

Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:58 pm

Does it include support for PiZero USB OTG without needing custom kernels?
Matthew

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 6291
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Raspbian 1.5.0 to 1.6.0

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:07 pm

The necessary kernel module is not in the 4.1 kernel, so you'll still need to rpi-update to 4.4 for that.

TheGuyUk
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:08 pm

Re: Raspbian 1.5.0 to 1.6.0

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:17 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... _notes.txt
Proper blog post coming tomorrow.

Windows 10 IoT has been added to NOOBS.

On the raspbian side, you can just run 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' to be fairly up to date.

There's an experimental gl driver option, but I don't recommend using that until the blog post is up.
Thank you ☺

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 25718
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Raspbian 1.5.0 to 1.6.0

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:37 pm

TheGuyUk wrote::)

Hello I am new to Pi computers and Raspbian I download version 1.5.0 and installed it on my RPi Z today I noticed Noobs is a newer version 1.6.0 .

So what is different, do I need to download and reinstall Noobs or is there a easier way to upgrade?

I have read about and run Sudo rpi-update but then I saw reference to Sudo get-app update and Sudo get-app upgrade ( last two I have not run ).

Whats new in version Raspbian 1.6.0?

Any advice or help appreciated.

Cheers
Version 15.0 & 1.6.0 are NOOBS Version and NOT Raspbian Version :?
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

User avatar
NickT
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 10:43 am
Location: UK

Re: Raspbian 1.5.0 to 1.6.0

Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:49 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... _notes.txt
On the raspbian side, you can just run 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' to be fairly up to date.
This appears to work successfully with one proviso:
If, like me, you find that upgrading Wolfram from its repository takes forever, then you are better off prohibiting the upgrade or removing Wolfram all together. I appreciate that it's a useful educational tool but I and many others find the upgrade process unworkable. The Foundation need to address this problem of slow downloading at some time.

Return to “Beginners”